1991 Force 120 tilt/trim

cinder1995

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 20'Bayliner with a 1991 Force 120. The tilt cylinders slowly creep down. I've tried everything I know to fix. I began to remove them to rebuild. After I disconnected all of the hyd. lines, removed the nuts on the end of the bolts that run horizontally through the cylinders and the motor I can't seem to knock the rods out. Please, someone tell me there's a secret to this.

ryr28fan

Cadet
Re: 1991 Force 120 tilt/trim

TAKE A CENTER PUNCH AND DRIVE THE TOP ROD THRU . YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO REMOVE THE LOWER ROD TO REBUILD . USE A SPANNER WRENCH AND REMOVE HEAD ASSY AND ROD AND PISTON WILL COME OUT THEN YOU CAN REPLACE O RINGS BE SURE TO INSPECT INSIDE OF CYLINDER FOR ANY SCORING . THATS THE WAY I DID MINE MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE HAS A EASIER WAY .

cinder1995

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I work at a hydraulic co. So the cylinder repair will be a piece of cake. However, removing the cylinders isn't. There's a small swim platform on either side of the transom, so there's only about 10" to hit the bolt with a punch or a hammer. Is there a keeper pin or cotter pin on the inside of this shaft,that I can't see, holding it in?

caldawg

Recruit

im in the process of rebuilding mine I have the same motor and its on a bayliner,What i did to get the rod out is i took the bolts out of the transom and lifted the whole motor up and out, put lots of transmission fluid on the shaft and used a big hammer and a punch about 3"and knocked it out .it took a while but i got it ,then i went and bought a new rod and orings and put it back together (Question for u tell me which lines go where,Or sen a picture of ur unit)

foodfisher

Captain

Yes, gotta pull the motor to whack it hard enough. Edit: No hidden pins or keepers.

Last edited: