1991 Force 120 lower unit

cinder1995

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I pulled my lower unit off to change the impeller & gaskets. Took no time at all. Until I tried to put the lower unit back on. I can't get the drive shaft, the shifting rod & and the top of the water pump to all line up. I got a little frustrated and tried to force it and broke the water pump housing. I fixed that. Can anyone tell me a trick or a special tool that I need. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1991 Force 120 lower unit

Have someone turn the flywheel as you try and guide the shaft up into the motor. Make sure if you have any linkage that has to be guided that it is not holding you up. You should only have to turn the flywheel slightly in order for the splines to line up. Good Luck

cinder1995

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I tried to sping the fly-wheel. I even tied a string to the shifting arm to pull it through the hole. My problem is that the drive shaft has to be held in place while I slide the lower unit on. If I put the drive shaft on the lower first, it won't go into the coupling up in the motor. I didn't know if there was a simple trick I was overlooking or even a tool. Oh, well. Thanks for the info. I'll keep on trying.

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

Eric:I did a lower unit on my 1992 120hp last year trim engine up engauge the shift rod down center drive shaft installed to lower unit above pump housing turn the prop, drive shaft will turn, should spline right up .There should also be a rubber bushing that sits on top of drive shaft that has to be installed.