1991 Evinrude XP150 Stumbling and Stalling

eyes4u

Seaman
I took my boat out for the maiden voyage yesterday after putting a new floor and vinyl in, as well as changing the engine out for a 1991 Evinrude XP 150 V6. The engine starts right up, if you give it a little throttle, but does not like to idle, nor does it like to get out of the hole. Once the RPM's come up a little, it seems to really take off. It is stumbling at low rpms, and even after it is warm, it will not idle for more than 5 or 10 seconds, and stalls. This makes docking and recovering the boat quite a trick, especially in the wind. I thought that maybe the plugs were fouled, from all of the winterization oils. I also reinstalled the VRO tank, and squeezed the bulb quite a bit to insure it was primed. So, the question is, what would make the engine dog out and stall on low rpms, and run really well at mid to high throttle? Thanks for the help.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1991 Evinrude XP150 Stumbling and Stalling

Clogged idle jets in carbs. REbuild with carb kits, get the manual to learn how and make sure the oil feed line is purged before connecting, its all in the manual.

www.outboardbooks.com