1991 Evinrude new tachometer not working

eyes4u

Seaman
I have a 1991 Evinrude 150 Hp outboard that I installed on a fishing boat that I am rebuilding. It has an omc control box. I can not get the new Teleflex tachometer to work. I followed a link to some wiring instructions that I found here on iboats for a similar Johnson. I have a purple wire a gray wire and a black wire. According to that advice the gray wire was the signal wire the black was the ground and the purple was 12 volts. Does this seem correct? I tried the setting on the back in two different positions finally leaving it in the 3p 6c setting. Was that correct? The tach jumps a little when you first turn the key to the on position, then doesn't move when you run the engine. What am I doing wrong? How can I test the components and wiring to find the problem? Thanks in advance for the help.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Evinrude new tachometer not working

A common cause of the tach not working is the rectifier being fried. If your read more than 13 volts at the battery when the motor is running it is good.

eyes4u

Seaman

Can you confirm that the tach is wired properly, per my description, and that the setting on the back is correct? If the rectifier is bad, what is involved $$ and effort to change it? Thanks for the reply.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The tach is jumping when you turn the key because it is getting power, but there isn't a signal from the rectifier to make it register the actual RPMs's. The setting on the back will make it read the correct RPM's, but even set incorrectly it will read something if everything else is correct.

Check the voltage at the battery when its running and it will let you know what to look for, Above 13 and the tach may be bad, 12.6 or less and it will be the charging system. In either case it could be a bad connection, so check for that first before buying parts.

eyes4u

Seaman

Thanks for the advice. I will go about it that way. Last question......Where is the rectifier and what does it look like. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but am not familiar with what it looks like on this particular O/B Engine. Thanks again.