1991 70 HP Johnson /Looking for Dhadley or Clanton

I have a question about connecting rods...OMC uses a split line fracture connecting rod. While assembling these rods on the bench I am using the old "dental pick" method to properly align. Upon inspection, I notice a small mis-alignment at the split line on the inside of the bore. Is this bad? Or, do i really need OMC's tool to align. These rods are used and show no signs of distress. What is your opinion? :confused: <br />P.S. I notice this on only ONE rod...The others seem fine.

G DANE

Commander
Re: 1991 70 HP Johnson /Looking for Dhadley or Clanton

Hi Paul<br /><br />I made exactly the same observation as you did. Try to turque a bit and see if the misalignment disappears - is sometimes does.<br /><br />I ran my motor this season with a small misalignment,at the one end, with no problems at all. But try to monsey a bit with it to get as little as possible.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 70 HP Johnson /Looking for Dhadley or Clanton

First make sure you have the right cap for the rod. They are not interchangeable.<br /><br />I dont care for the alignment tool myself but some do. Try tightening up each side a little at a time. As it goes together you can LIGHTLY tap the cap. If it is in question - assemble the cap on the rod before you put it around the crank pin. The inside is what we are concerned about because thats where the needles ride. Its rare but I have seen rods that just would not realign. Most of those came out of an engine that had a MAJOR failure. I have seen rods that aligned perfectly on the inside but the cap was ever so slightly off on the outside.<br /><br />If its a concern and only one rod I would simply get another. They are fairly easy to come by used.<br /><br />Good luck!