1991 250 V8 beeps when stopping?

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i recently removed my vro's and added a holley red fuel pump on my 250 V8. i also put on a new powerpack. when i back off the throttle to stop the warning alarm beeps rapidly for a couple seconds then stops. boat runs normal.any ideas on what the problem could be? it's getting quite annoying! thanks....james

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 250 V8 beeps when stopping?

Possibly the low fuel pressure alarm. Disconnect it and see. Not really a good idea to run it like that. What was wrong with the pumps?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

That was a common problem back then and it was a surge that activated the vacuum switch and caused the horn to sound when you pulled the throttle back quickly.<br /><br />Sometimes you could eliminate the problem by inserting a carb jet in the hose that came off the vacuum switch. The jet restriction "dampened" the fuel surge and kept the vacuum switch from activating too soon.

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dhadley.....<br /> whats wrong with running my v8 with the vro's removed? i'm running pre mix amsoil 100:1 saber at 60:1. to tell you the truth, i removed the vro's after reading all the posts (some by you) that the v8 dosn't get enough fuel and to use the holley red fuel pump.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

By "not enough fuel" we're talking about restrictions in the delivery system. V8's live on fuel volume. We always try to make sure there's as few connections as possible, no kinks, no crimps etc. Even the anti-siphon valve and tank vent are suspect on a V8.<br /><br />If the stock pumps cannot supply enough fuel, there's a restriction somewhere. Aside from the obvious safety issues, an electric pump can over ride the needle in the carb seat if unregulated. If youre using the Holley pump just make sure you monitor the pressure all the time.