1991 15 HP Evinrude pull start model

Hi guys, my Idle Adjustment knob at the end of the tiller handle Broke and I'm looking to replace it. Does anyone have any good guides on how to replace it (Ex. video or website with step by step description). Thanks!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Your manual should have a parts blow up of the steering handle/throttle control parts -- may be enough to troubleshoot. A throttle friction control (thumbscrew) would do the same thing. A working throttle control like the one you reference is intended to return to a preset trolling speed -- thumbscrew assembly is less prone to failure or misuse. Try the marine engine site if you don't have a manual that shows the assembly.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use 2 have a mid 90,s same motor. I broke that off 2. I never found that it did anything when it was on there. It never changed the trolling speed for me. I never replaced it motor worked fine

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use 2 have a mid 90,s same motor. I broke that off 2. I never found that it did anything when it was on there. It never changed the trolling speed for me. I never replaced it motor worked fine
I have a 2000 Johnson 25hp 3cylinder now and I broke the one on it to motor trolls down 2 slow if I want. They both caught the bench seat when I was putting the motor down . They flew about 10ft in the air and sunk to the bottom lol.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
I have a 2000 Johnson 25hp 3cylinder now and I broke the one on it to motor trolls down 2 slow if I want. They both caught the bench seat when I was putting the motor down . They flew about 10ft in the air and sunk to the bottom lol.
Isn't that annoying. The back seat on my older Springbok tin boat is also too close to my 1990 15Hp motor now, but never had a problem with older motor models. In other words the tiller handle is too long on these motors now. I have to remember to bend the tiller handle up before I tilt the motor back down or I will also suffer the enjoyment of having that idle adjustment knob broken off when the motor is dropped back into the water and the tiller hits the back seat as it swings upward during the process, with the full weight of the motor. Very annoying.

I bought this motor off a guy in Indiana about 3 years ago and he said he broke it off. I'm doing some repairs on it this week and figured I would replace it while I was working on it. if you guys don't think its worth it then ill just leave it alone. You can adjust the idle speed with a screw next to the carb right? Thanks

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The function of the knob it to lock to throttle for trolling speeds so you don’t have to hold the throttle all the time.
If you don’t need it for trolling there is no need to fix it.

Chief Petty Officer
It's funny how you don't know what you're missing if you've never had it to begin with.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's funny how you don't know what you're missing if you've never had it to begin with.
I had them on both my motors I turned them all the way out all the way in. They never made any difference to my motors. That's why I never replaced them to probably just get busted off again. Maybe they did something for you. I'm just saying I never found that they did anything for me.