1990 Wellcraft Eclipse 186 4.3L.....Should I buy? LOTS of PICS

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need some assistance once again. After looking at repowering my 1990 bayliner Capri 18ft 90hp boat and asking opinions on an OB here the other day, I started looking at different boats. I found this one, the pics looked good and the guy sounded honest. I went to look at it tonite and have some concerns, the boat didn'™t follow me home yet.
1990 WellCraft Eclipse 186 4.3L mercruiser with alpha-one out drive with a 14x19 michigan wheel prop. For $3,900. And got him down to $3,400 in order to come look at it.
Supposedly the previous owner didnt winterize it correctly and cracked the block, which was replaced by a new short block which now has less than 200 hours on it....take that word for whatever it is worth.
(one of the pics it looks like there is oil under the outdrive, but its just water) So after addressing my concerns and seeing the pictures, should I consider this a buyable boat or keep looking? Also the boat is located in Omaha, NE. ALSO- I feel the boat looks in much better condition in my pictures I took than in person.
  1. I feel like the boat was poorly covered for a long time because the upholstery is not cracked chalked or sun baked yet some of the wood structures are saturated and rotting slimy.
  2. The floor was soaked and wet pretty much everywhere, as well as standing water in the under floor storage area. (albeit we have had massive amounts of rain recently but this feels more long term.)
  3. The trim buttons work intermittently and sometimes only the relays click.
  4. One trim cylinder has oil residue but does not drip or sag.
  5. The engine compartment feels dirty to me, and im questioning the crooked sideways look of the bolts mounting the engine mounts to the frame of the boat.
  6. The power steering resivor was basically empty.
  7. The power steering unit behind the motor had grease all over it, possibly from someone over greasing a zerk and blowing grease out?
  8. There was molding slimy standing water on top of the gas tank when we popped the inspection covers in the floor.
  9. The controls make a rubbing grinding sound when they have almost reached the end of their travel either direction. (throttle control)
  10. Even with a heavy duty looking axle, it was bowing and the tires had a lot of camber, with worn tread on the inners of the tires. Which made me feel the boat was extra heavy such as being water logged??
  11. The owner didn'™t see a problem with starting the engine without muffs on, which he didn™t have. I didn't let him run it.
  12. Dog house top cushion looked great but the wood was mushy rotted soggy.
IMG_20140619_210324copy_zpsfb1b0889.jpg

IMG_20140619_210332copy_zps0fc43220.jpg

IMG_20140619_210339copy_zpscf4ae3bf.jpg

IMG_20140619_210347copy_zps0ab08f84.jpg

IMG_20140619_210400copy_zps7fc347ef.jpg

IMG_20140619_210427copy_zpsf6495369.jpg

Last edited:

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Overall, nice looking boat...in basic appearance. Seems to me that you know what to look for because of so many things you pointed out. I think most 24 year old boats are are going to have some rot issues due to water intrusion. In reality, its likely the boat has some stringer, deck, and possibly transom issues. I think if I were we to buy a boat that old, I would purchase as a "fixer upper" and offer something really low in regards to price. Good luck, let us know what you do. Wanted to add this, if he was willing to start the engine without muffs......his lack of that basic knowledge would scare the crap out of me....LOL

Last edited:

MikDee

Banned
It was a great concept for a boat, but I'd walk away from this one knowing what you know,,, lets face it, it's been neglected, & abused.

southkogs

Staff member
If it was $1,500 or lower, then maybe. But $4k for that puppy wouldn't make it in my area. I'd say move on. $4k should get you a reasonably nice boat.

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One issue is that it seems all the boats in my area that are under $8000.... have known soft floors, motor issues, terrible upholstery....

southkogs

Staff member
Might branch out a bit and be willing to take a drive. I bought my last boat about 5 hours away from home. Where are ya'?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I agree with the other comments, this boat WAS a nice boat YEARS ago, but its been neglected, not stored right, and probably has a ton of rot under that carpet. Keep saving your money and get something MUCH newer. Take it from some one who rebuilt a similar boat (the one in my sig).....Old boats with wood cored decks and carpet, are going to have rot unless you live in the desert, or it was always stored in a dry building or garage....

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I broke down today and made a deal over the phone for the boat as long as it passed the weigh test... was going to pull it over a scale. halfway (1hour) into the trip he texts me that it sold.. So maybe thats a good thing

southkogs

Staff member
Let's see if links are workin' for me:

About 3 hours from you (Raliegh) - http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/4528176195.html : nice enough boat, good outboard

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/4532221463.html - not fancy at all, but easy to take care of

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/4509039242.html - this boat is nothing fancy, but looks like it was very well cared for

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/4531719902.html - newer boat, higher priced but it may be worth it

Some of those see a lot less risky.

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
haha... im in norfolk, NEBRASKA... bud not norfolk VIRGINIA.. :) those boats are about 30hours from me.

thumpar

Admiral
Don't buy a boat with a soft floor unless you plan on a project. If the floor is soft the stringers are probably shot too. When I was looking for my first personal boat (family always had some) the floors was one of my main concerns. I ended up with the 1983 in my sig and it was completely solid because the owner always had it stored correctly. After I had it for 7 years I got $100 more than I paid because I also stored it correctly. If it is more that a couple years old it comes down to maintenance and condition.