1990 Force 150hp, Is it worth buying?

stang82

Cadet
I found a 1990 Force 150hp with trim/tilt and controls. Seems to be in good condition, and the asking price is $1,200.<br />I would really appreciate some feedback on these engines, I don't know there track record and have heard horror stories, however my friend has a 125hp thats been decent over the years.

alcan

Commander
Re: 1990 Force 150hp, Is it worth buying?

Hi Stang<br />Why do folks ask this question? This is one of those depends deals. Since you have to ask this question, I am going to say this is probably not a good deal for you. For a fellow who knows whats he is doing, this might be a real deal. You know a guy like me that already has a pile of motors for parts etc. And just wants a desposable engine cheep. If your really not in the know about this kind of stuff stay away. If you want to learn to play with outboards for a hobby Go for a smaller, less expencive piece. If a motor (any brand) can not be test ran, you can concider it to be junk, no matter how good it looks. You can bet it's junk or stolen junk.

stang82

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have been more specific with my questions. <br />I have heard these engines are worst ever made by Force and that the HP rating is not accurate. I understand these engines are also prone to power head problems.

alcan

Commander

Hi Stang<br />I really don't know all the goods and bads on the 150hp nor on any other Force motor. There are a lot of Force bashers out there. Right now I am not one of them. I only try and veiw the situation from an economic stand point. That is don't buy what you can't sell. If you can make repairs and use the motor long enough to get your money out of it, then it's a good deal. Resale on Force motors is low, they didn't cost much to start with (compared). You do the math 0+0=0. $1,2oo. sound like an astronomical sum to me, concidering I got my last Force 150hp out of a ditch along side the road. It was free, power tilt and all. Now after I find a few more of these rascals I,ll put one together and run it. then I tell you exactly if it is any good or not. My opinion is that folks should ether buy used from a reputable dealer or buy a mounted driveable motor and have it checked buy a qualified outboard marine mechanic.

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NADA list average retail at $800.00 and low retail as $670 linky<br /><br />I think it may be a little off but being a 90 model and just by reputation alone probably not far. I would not ever take what they list as average retail on my 95 model 120 Force. However it is in practically new condition with only about 125 hrs on it and I purchased it new. Expect the 150 to perform more like a 135 or so. However I do think Force motors were propshaft rated by 1990. Not sure though. My 120 will snatch two 175 - 185 lbs skiers at one time with no sweat. 19 pitch prop on an 85 Bayliner 18' open bow. Top speed by speedo is in mid 40s. I always wanted a 150 Force but I think it is because I tend to like things which are a little different from the norm.........

stang82

Cadet

alcan & seldont-<br />Thanks so much for your replies. Spoke again with the seller, will be seeing it run in the next day or so. That link is cool for pricing, but like you said, it seems on the low side. I wonder it thats nation wide average? In CA you would never find those prices.<br />I'll keep you posted on the visual and running results...

LubeDude

Admiral

Sledont:<br /><br />Man, according to the people on this forum, you have the worst of the worst! Force engine, and Bayliner boat! Im not one of those though, I happen to believe that if you take resonable care of your equipment it will last a long time! Youve got a decent rig that handles your needs well, Im sure if you were made out of money you would have something different, but now you are having fun with little invested!<br /><br />Happy boating!

stang82

Cadet

Hey Guys-<br /><br />One more thing before I check it out, would you happen to know the motor cover clearance, or the motor hieght from transom to the top of the cover? Since its not a V, I may not be able to use this engine, could be to tall...<br /><br />Thanks - Stang82>

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lubedude,<br /> I am fully aware of what many say about the Force/Bayliner combo. I have been around boats most of my life and am fairly handy with a wrench. Having had experience with an old 100 hp Chrysler I had an idea what to expect. I bought mine new in Oct 1994. It was the first 95 they had at the stealership that year. Being purchased late in the year I got a good price on it. I honestly have not had any trouble with it at all except for the black stator which died and I replaced it myself with a CDI unit for $160.00. Lots of those failed on Mercs as well. My little Bayliner stays ina garage when not used and still looks and runs like new. I probably would not get a lot on a sale but since I plan on keeping it for several more years I think it is great. Like you said I am still having fun every weekend and as how I live 3 miles from the ramp and have no boat payment I am happy as a Lark. Hope to see ya on the water some day!!!.......Seldon <br /><br />By the way I have a $300.00 Tigershark jetski. They are said to be junk and are no longer being built but my 900 Tiger will do 50 mph all day. I have gotten my $300.00 worth form that one as well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder eh!!!