1990 Force 150 outboard will not respond over 3k rpms

Wessmith

Cadet
Heres the scoop. I just bought this boat and was still really unsure about the motor but it seemed to run well with the hose on it. Decided to take it out on the water and it would only sputter around at about 10mph after 45mins of grueling attempts at starting it. Took it to the shop and the mechanic said it was missing on the upper 2 cylinders. He replaced the switch box but now it only runs smoother. It still bogs down severely when i give it half or greater throttle. Also the overheat warning buzzer rings for a little while right after putting her in the water. Could this be an impeller problem? But how about the bogging? Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Force 150 outboard will not respond over 3k rpms

Welcome too iboats.<br /><br />Definitely replace the impeller.<br />No more than 3000 rpm could be from the high speed protion of the stator not providing any spark at higher rpm. <br />Have stator tested.<br />Have compression checked.

Wessmith

Cadet

My boat will go above 3k rpms on the hose so i don't think its the stator. It will only not go above 3k in the water well it will but only for about 45 seconds. Compression was checked and is good on all cylinders.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Ok, you have spark, and you have compression, that leaves fuel.<br /><br />Does the fuel line bulb pump up firmly?<br />Does it stay semi firm when you run the motor?<br />Does the bulb go soft/flat?<br />Do you have a portable fuel tank, or a built in fuel tank?<br />Is the vent opened on the fuel tank?<br />Is the fuel tank clean or does it have "stuff" on the bottom?<br />When the engine is sputtering around, put a small amount of fuel in a squirt bottle and spray it into the carb, see if the engine picks up rpm when you do this.<br /><br />Maybe time to spend $50 and eliminate some of the possible causes.<br />Get a new fuel line and bulb.<br />Get new hose clamps.<br />If you have the round fuel pumps, get 2 fuel pump diaphrams and the associated gaskets.<br />If you have the square fuel pump, get the rebuild kit.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and while your there buy carb gasket kits. they are simple on that motor. 3K on the flusher can be achived with 3 of the 5 cyls out. 3k on the flusher just means nothing. best I remember that motor has a t-stat and a pressure control valve that requires annual maint as well as the water pump kit.<br /> most boats tend to sit and the carbs gum up and the fuel pumps go bad while awaiting the sale:) as does the water pumps ,t-stats and pressure control valves.

Markas

Seaman Apprentice

This may sound a little off the wall, but I have a Force 150 and had a high speed stall problem. Turned out to be starved for gas due to the 'autoblend' plastic fuel inlet hose barb being collapsed by too much pressure on the hose clamp/fatigue on the barb. Had to do a repair out on the water - put a smaller plastic sleeve inside to keep it from collapsing. Finally got a rebuild kit for the autoblend (Autoblend II, actually) on Ebay and it's fine ever since.