1990 force 120 lacking power

DukeDelago

Seaman Apprentice
My l-drive 120 hp force is lacking power at WOT. Compression is 125 on all cylinders and the motor starts, runs, and idles perfectly. My problem is trying to plane and maintain cruising speed, on good days I can turn around 4500 rpm (used to do 5200) and on bad days maybe only 4200. My initial thought is the coil and wires since the carbs have been torn down and cleaned several times with no change in performance and compression is good. I have used an in line spark tester and all four cylinders are getting spark, at least at low rpm. I'm wondering if at higher rpm when the cd modules only have time to fire once per cycle I'm getting intermittant spark on one or all cylinders, causing this power loss. Any thoughts??

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 force 120 lacking power

Fuel supply or delivery.Change the hoses.Including the squeezie.Any inline connectors?Replace or just remove them.They leak air after a while.The vent in the tank clogged?Buggs get in there and clogg it off.Rebuild the fuel pump.Valves too!
Possible it's an electrical problem.Get a spark tester,available at any auto parts store $6.It should jump 7/16"They sell inline sparkies(a little more expensive).They can be used when running.J

DukeDelago

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1990 force 120 lacking power

Thanks Jerry, I will try those and post back with results. Wish me luck!