1990 Force 120 idle issue.

1990_Bayliner

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first boat a week ago. The engine is a 120 FORCE outboard had 150, 155, 150, 150 compression on 4 cylinders. Had the whole tune up done on the engine, plugs wires, even water pump replaced. The engine starts up fine however this weekend i started the motor had to warm it up a little, then when i left it in neutral to idle it would run for few seconds the RPM's would be fluctuating from 900RPM down to 700RPM then it would die. I had hard time docking because when i put the boat in gear the RPM's dropped then it would die again? Not sure what the problem is? I was able to run the boat for full 3 hours staright ran great i even let it idle in the middle of the bay it would not die it was ideling at 1000 RPM. I believe it runs OK when the boat is warmed up but when first starting from cold engine it will keep stalling on me. Any suggestions where to start?? Thanx everyone for your help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Force 120 idle issue.

Check the fuel pump diaphram.Water in the filter,you have a filter? If not put one in.J