1990 evinrude 60 hp

LAKEHOME

Cadet
It starts right up and runs with full power and after a mile or so it just
cuts out. Sometimes it starts right up again but most of the time it cranks
and cranks and will not start......give it 5 minutes and it starts right up. Does
not matter if idle or high RPM it just conks out. My thought is power pack
but I don't know. Possibly one of the 3 coils are weak?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 evinrude 60 hp

It starts right up and runs with full power and after a mile or so it just
cuts out. Sometimes it starts right up again but most of the time it cranks
and cranks and will not start......give it 5 minutes and it starts right up. Does
not matter if idle or high RPM it just conks out. My thought is power pack
but I don't know. Possibly one of the 3 coils are weak?

A few things you can check. Is the gas tank vented properly? Sounds like you could be having a problem keeping fuel flowing. Also can you squeeze the primer bulb or is it still firm? Before you move onto electronic parts, make sure it isn't a fuel supply issue first... JMHO!

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Not uncommon for folks to jump all over the powerpack.----What I would do is run with a timing light hooked up and see if spark fails after 5 minutes.------Could be as simple as an air leak in the fuel line or a bad pick-up hose in the tank.

LAKEHOME

Cadet

As soon as it quits I quickly check the primer bulb and it is hard...can bulb be hard and fuel pump is a problem? I'm
going to take air cover off carbs and as soon as it does it check the prime and then spray starting fluid in carbs and see if it starts right up.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

If the bulb is hard then it likely is not a pump / fuel problem.---But running with another tank and hose is also a good test.--Running with a timing light is a good test for the ignition system.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

As soon as it quits I quickly check the primer bulb and it is hard...can bulb be hard and fuel pump is a problem? I'm
going to take air cover off carbs and as soon as it does it check the prime and then spray starting fluid in carbs and see if it starts right up.
starting fluid is bad for the motor, it is better to squirt some fuel mix in there

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Do the timing light trick. Then you'll know if it's fuel or ignition.

Last edited:

LAKEHOME

Cadet

You are right it's fuel. Bulb gets hard and it runs ok but after running it slow for a few minutes the motor
stalls and bulb will take several hard pumps and it starts again. I put on new hose and fitting and ran the
hose into a 2 gal. open tank to eliminate pickup tube, and it still does it. No visible leak when I remove the cover and pump it hard.
Is the problem with the fuel pump??

racerone

Supreme Mariner

If the motor keeps running when someone operates the manual pump then you need to do the following.------Remove pulse line at the crankcase. Turn motor over and feel the crancase pulses.-----Despite what some will say those VRO pumps are easy to take apart for inspection.------A compression test should be done as well.