1990 Evinrude 15hp will not stay running

fishtails

Cadet
Hi Everyone,
I just picked up a 1990 Evinrude 15 HP M/N 15RESR today and the motor will start but will not stay running. I am thinking it probably needs a new fuel pump, but thought I should post for any other ideas before I order any parts.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1990 Evinrude 15hp will not stay running

Go back to the opening page of this forum & down under "Repair & Maintenance" before you clicked onto the Johnson / Evinrude section, down near the bottom of this FAQ page you will find (9.9/15hp OMC Engines by "The Machinist"). In this are many articles that I have written which cover only 9.9 & 15hp OMC motors. I have a troubleshooting section there for these also. That may be a start.

A fuel pump is a possibility, however these hardly ever fail, while leaks in the fuel system are more common.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Try pumping the bulb when it starts to quit, if it continues to run chances are the pump is going or you have an issue with bad fuel lines or tank venting.

fishtails

Cadet

Thanks the machinist and bktheking. I tried pumping the bulb while it was running, but that didn't help. Same result when using different tanks and fuel lines. Still thinking fuel pump and/or fuel connector at motor, but I have not inspected the hose real close yet. I am going to do that and disconnect the fuel line at the carb and see what happens. I guess it might be a carb issue / gummed up jet too. Would that be a possibility if it starts up okay?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

If it doesnt run better squeezing the ball,its a dirty carb