1990 Alpha I water pump ?'s

Bergerson

Seaman Apprentice
I just put a brand new rebuilt 4.3l in my 1990 chaparral, Took it out yesterday and it overheated, dropped the lower half took apart water pump and the veins are wore pretty bad, still touching the outside of the housing but wore over and starting to crack, my ? is the plastic tube that connects to the top of the water pump housing was melted into a ball of chit,. what is the purpose of this plastic tube, dosent the copper tube fit into the top of the waterpump housing? I cant remember and i dont have the replacement pump kit yet, Had to order it and wont be in until tomorrow, and would the worn fins be causing my overheating problem? I did replace the thermostat with a new one, and rechecked all hoses for blockage, everything flowed just fine on muffs but not in the water. see attached pics.

Thanks for all the advice in advance!

Bryan

SDC10046.jpg

SDC10045.jpg

SDC10044-1.jpg

SDC10043-1.jpg

Bergerson

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1990 Alpha I water pump ?'s

and is there any links to a manual for the Mercruiser Alpha I? thanks

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

By the looks of your impeller id say it was well overdue
and you found your first problem , then while running hot you melted the tube.

Doubt that impeller is pumping anything and when you run it on the hose your water supply is providing any flow your getting to the engin !

fish

Bergerson

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply's, so you thing that that impeller is my problem? and what about the tube, ?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

That impeller is definitely a problem. Maybe even THE problem. But it is possible you have other problems as well. (Plugged manifolds, etc).

You will need to find all the pieces that are missing. They may be plugging your new thermostat.

The plastic is just a guide for getting the copper tube to fit into place. When you buy a new water pump kit - which I would recommend instead of simply replacing the impeller - It will come with a new plastic tube.

That impeller is definitely a problem. Maybe even THE problem. But it is possible you have other problems as well. (Plugged manifolds, etc).

You will need to find all the pieces that are missing. They may be plugging your new thermostat.

The plastic is just a guide for getting the copper tube to fit into place. When you buy a new water pump kit - which I would recommend instead of simply replacing the impeller - It will come with a new plastic tube.

Definately get the complete kit including the lower housing, not just the impeller.

Bergerson

Seaman Apprentice

Thnaks for the advice, I did order the whole kit, so does the plastic tube just ride inside of the copper tube after they mate up?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

so does the plastic tube just ride inside of the copper tube after they mate up?

Actually it rides OUTSIDE of the copper tube. The plastic tube gets put into the top of the water pump housing, and you guide the copper tube into the plastic tube.

Bergerson

Seaman Apprentice

put in the new water pump kit, worked GREAT! pumped 4 cylinders FULL of water!! #$%@ cracked both brand new vortec heads from overheating.......:mad::mad: