1990 70 evinrude

I jusy purchased a boat with a 1990 70 evinrude. They said it was getting water in the bottom cylinder. I took off the head and saw it had a new gasket and then ran the motor with the muffs and pulled the plugs but i didn't see any water. I can see where water had previously gotten in there before though. Also while running it it ran fine for about 3 to 5 min then died. So i primed the bulb and it will run fine for another 3 to 5 min before it dies. if i pump the bulb periodically it will stay running. I believe its the fuel pump but i don't know much about the VRO2. It does not have the oil tank and they said they used mixed gas. I was wondering if somehow it was getting air in the system because it seems like thats an awful long time to burn up that little bit of gas given by priming the bulb. Also on the other side of the motor from the VRO2 there is something with a red lever on it. Looks like it could be a valve for the fuel but i don't want to mess with it until i know what it is. Thanks in advance for all the help. This is the only things keeping me from the water!!

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1990 70 evinrude

The valve is your primer valve. no reason to mess with it. sounds like you may have a bad fuel pump. I would change it over to a regular fuel pump. I have a 91-70 hp evinrude. these are great motors. take care of it. you will love it.

Dumb question..whats the purpose of the primer valve when you have a ball? Also how would you use it and is it even needed? What pump did you use to to the conversion?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The primer valve acts the same as the old choke plates did. When you push the key in when starting it lets the fuel pump inject fuel into the cyls. The red lever is the manual over ride for the solenoid. Just make sure the lever is parrell to the solenoid for normal operation.

Checked and made sure and it looks good. Thanks for the helpful information. Another question. If the VRO system had been taken off but the pump not unplugged, could that be the cause of the cutting off....possibly sucking air into the system somehow? I just traced the wires from the VRO and they were still plugged in. Everything i have read says that it should be unplugged.. As you can see i am not familiar at all with these older VRO systems. Thanks again for all you help. I am just trying to figure out why it does not want to stay running. Trying to get it ready for the weekend!