1990 200HP Rude when going over wake power loss???

ehaskins

Cadet
Before I rip 6 carbs off and go to town I thought I would air this out. My boat has been having some issues above 5000rpm (sounds like starvation) I have only been fishing at night with out much boat traffic and staying under 5K. Well I put in yest around 5pm with lots of traffic. When I went over wakes it seems my engine looses power, on flat seas off to the races till I get up around 5200 then I hear a stutter in the engine. An outboard mechanic friend is supposed to take a run with me but our schedules dont seem to mix. I have my outboard manual does this sound like float problem or needle not seated properly?? <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Eric

DMC

Cadet
Re: 1990 200HP Rude when going over wake power loss???

Do you have any fuel filters on this on this outfit? That is the first place I would look. Or you are sucking air into a fuel line. I would also check all rubber hoses on the engine. If any seem brittle, then I would replace all of them.<br /><br />Good Luck<br /><br />DMC

ehaskins

Cadet

I forgot to mention I have replaced all fuel lines and filters(water sep & fuel), VRO is new 4 wire, and replaced check valve back when I was having a surging problem. this fixed the surging problem but I ended up with this problem since then. Compression is 88 psi all 6 cyls w/engine warm.<br /><br />Eric

ob

Admiral

88 seems low to me. perhaps week compression due to carbon build-up is culprit.Possibly due to oil rich mix through vro before replacement unit.Try some of the decarb products through dealer to attain better compression before looking further.

ehaskins

Cadet

Ob,<br /><br /> I made a few calls to ask about this and was able to get some free info :) . The shop said my motor is a looper and has bleed off ports? that cause this. Apparently they bleed off compression at idle to make motor run better?? The fact that all the pressures are uniform is good.<br /><br /> Well I am no expert but I hope someone will either back this up or explain it better. My motor starts on the first turn of the key even when cold. Idles great, runs great until I run over 5000 rpm for any length of time. Then of course when I go over seas or wake it seems like motor loses power. Can anyone tell me if what the shop said is true??<br /><br />Thanks Everyone<br /><br />Eric

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't overlook the possibility that it's a power pack. That was my problem and I went through the whole fuel thing. Get the mechanic out there! ;)

ob

Admiral

Ehaskins, don't know about bleedoff ports causing low readings . However , mummblerone makes good point since your primary beef is when encoutering waves. Also check all engine ground wiring and ignition connections including lanyard kill switch , if so equipped.I did a short search on compression readings on your model and hp and low readings , because of compression bleedoff ports were not indicated .110-120 were typical.

ehaskins

Cadet

Yeah, <br /><br /> Im gonna pay the 85.00 to have the mechanic water test the boat. He will then tell me whats wrong. I have owned the boat 2 months and want to go out 30 miles diving but been too afraid. So I write it off as money well spent. <br /><br />Thanks Guys I love this board!!!!<br /><br />Eric

johndezman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i probably wouldn't let it interfere with the dive trip. also wouldn't drive it at 5000 rpm for 30 miles either!<br /><br />by the way how is the motor mounted on the transom ie at what height?