1989 Yamaha 200hp problems ???

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I seem to remember that Yamaha outboards back in the late 80's and early 90's had some specific major problems but can't remember what they were. Can anyone help me out on this. TIA.<br /><br />bowhuntr

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Yamaha 200hp problems ???

The only known major problem was with the Shift Shaft. It was originally made from a low grade metal that corroded easily that would require a major repair to fix.<br /><br />In the mid 90's they went to stainless steel and this was all but eliminated altogether.<br /><br />Thank you,<br /><br />John Metaxas

Capt Ken

Commander

Stainless shift shaft in 93. Early V6 engines had problems with piston pins failing. Paint on exhaust housing didn't hold up well. The piston pin problems really dealt fits with the early Excels. When the pin began to rattle, it would trip the knock sensor and the timing would retard. Use to disconnect alot of knock sensors back then.

blazed4x4

Seaman Apprentice

Another problem that i remeber the v-6 s having was the fuel inlets would clog up just before the seat,causing a mid to top end misfire. Seats arent replacable so ya gotta change the carb.