1989 sylvan supersportster 18.5 i/o bow mount trolling motor size

Stacraft1768

Cadet
I would like to get a trolling motor for my sylvan super sportster, I have no idea what it measures from the water line to the mounting surface as the the boat is wrapped and in storage. My best gues is something in the 60" range 55 lbs of thrust or more judging by the min Kota sizing guide lines. My question is, if someone has more experience or the same/ similar boat and can shed some light, this boat is used on small inland lakes and has a kicker for emergency power source. There are a few used trolling motors around me I the 45"-52" range for a good price could I get away with something like that.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Unless you are in calm water I don't believe the 50" will be long enough, also a lot depends on how the motor is mounted. Some mounts allow the motor to be closer to the water while others hold it farther away. Some years back I owned a cousin to yours an 18.5 StarCraft model, the 55lb is fine for thrust but the wave action is what requires the longer shaft otherwise the motor will keep popping out of the water and that causes a strain on it.

stevecur

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 16' SS. Have been running a 55# with 48" shaft. Minimum for this boat. If I were you I would go with 80# at 60".