1989 OMC Cobra Block

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Everyone,<br /><br />I am currently in the middle of rebuilding my 1989 Sunbird Eurosport II with a Gm 4.3L V6. The previous owner has used JB Weld to patch a crack in the block. My question is whether or not the block is the same as an auto block. Also, I would like to build this engine with the best parts so it will last the longest. Do any of you have a particular brand that you consider best. I've got the rest of the drivetrain rebuilt with new parts and now need to finish the job. Also, do any of you know whether or not a Sunbird is a quality boat? Any help is appreciated. <br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />James<br /><br />PS: I believe it is a standard rotation engine.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1989 OMC Cobra Block

the blocks are the same.... just use the same vintage....

foresteronw

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey man, as far as the boat goes, you here different things. I own a sunbird myself and I know two other people that do, and I they, including myself, are happy with them. I have an 89 sunbird eurosport. What year is yours? WHat color? I am planning on getting it painted, but looking for a good idea.

coupedeville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get yourself a copy of the August 2002 Hot Rod magazine. They do a build-up on a 4.3 and get 300hp out of it. Tells you what fits, and what doesn't.

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's an update guys. I bought an auto block and had it and the heads machined all except for line boring it and having the engine balanced. I plan to do that soon. I will probrably put in flat-top forged pistons with chromemoly rings. Some of you suggested that I get some vortec heads, I will more than likely do that one of these days, but right now I just wanna get the motor together. I can put them on easily when i get the money. Oh, and to answer your question foresteronw, It is a 1989 Sunbird Eurosport II. It is red and white with a 4.3L GM V6. I'm fixing to start ripping the floor and stringers out to replace them. I saw a blue Sunbird on ebay a while back and I like the way it looked so I will probrably paint it blue. I know that it might seem odd to most of you but I will also be cutting the port side dash out to restructure it to be flat. I will then cut out a hole just big enough to put the "guts" of a 15 inch flat screen LCD monitor in there and add a computer. I will have a plastic cover to keep it sealed up. I put one in my truck for music and I'll never go back. I have over 2,700 songs at my fingertips at any given time without even having to fool with cds. I probrably will also add a GPS module to it later on. Then, if I decide to put Fuel Injection on it someday, I can control it all with the computer. That should help add power and economy. I can wait until I get it all done. :D :D :D :D

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry for the double posts, but I forgot to mention that it is an 18ft bowrider.