1989 OMC 2.3 loses power at WOT

89 omc 2.3

Recruit
New to the forum. I just purchased an 89 Four Winns with a 2.3 OMC Cobra. Originally it would ping and knock at wide open throttle and the tach would jump around and the boat would not plane. I have replaced cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter and timing belt. It has been upgraded to electronic ignition including the diode installation. The carburetor has been rebuilt minus the power valve. There was alot of what looked like sand in the carburetor .The carb ( 2 bbl Rochester) was cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner and reassembled. I have checked the anti siphon valve and it appears to be clean and free. What now happens is the boat will plane out for about 200 yards and then loses power. The engine then will surge up and down and will not return to full power. After that we went back to the dock because i dont like to row my powerboat and that where Im at now. Does anybody know of other things that could possibly cause this issue. I have ordered a new power valve and will install when it arrives. .Thanks for any advice you may have. Thanks again!!

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

sounds like your running out of fuel

89 omc 2.3

Recruit
Yes i think so too i am going check the pick up tube in the tank and the tank for debris and empty the fuel filter to see if there is any sediment.

ther than fuel i am at loss.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you may need to check the float as well.