1989 Mercury 25 h.p.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,

My last deal fell thru on the boat /motor that I wanted. I am now considering a Smoker craft 1987 big fishermen boat, 14 footer with a 25 h.p. 1998 Mercury motor. Don't know the model number, but I know it is a 'manual' start motor not electric start. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this motor OR boat they would care to share before I purchase the unit? It looks to be in great condition in and out. Has pedal controlled trolling motor on the bow. Has a storage box and a small live well. Nice looking carpeting and seats, a few rod holders included. $2,700 asking price. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1989 Mercury 25 h.p.

Honestly......that is not too big and will feel very cramped when you add in a few fishing rods, tackle boxes and cooler .....not to mention a fishing partner. It is over priced on top of that.

I really don't know your requirements but just try to visualize the extra gear and trying to move around in it while fishing.

14' just is cramped for two.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Mercury 25 h.p.

Can you post internal pics of that motor, is the throttle system driven with cable or rod ? If rod, could be a rebadged Tohatsu model that could be bumped to a 30 HP for peanuts cost.

Happy Boating

Last edited: