1989 Mariner 175 very little power under load

jcskeeter

Cadet
Hi - I probably don't have enough details but I can get more if needed.

1989 Skeeter 18'6" SF175DF
1989 Mariner 175 0C185379

I've had this boat/motor for almost 15 years and within the last couple the motor had lost its spunk. If I'm by my self with the wells empty I can get it up on plane fine. But was just out with my dad and I had the wells full and he had to go sit on the bow and it took a hundred yards or so to get on plane. Once it's on plane it actually rips pretty good for being an 89.

I've basically never done anything to it except winterize and a couple lower unit rebuilds. I'm thinking the carbs could really use a good cleaning and rebuild. But I'm wondering if that will cause other problems? Or I have a different issue??

I've been seeing people referring to RPMs at wot and idle. I don't have those on hand at the moment but will note when I go out next.

It idles fine although it does seam like it's missing every once in a while. What are some other things I can check that could cause low power on the bottom end? I'm planning to get a compression tester too cause I'm sure that's critical as well. Thanks for any help! Sorry if double post. Tried searching but didn't come up with anything in short order.