1989 Marathon Good or Bad

Well To Make A Long Story Short I Have Been Trying To Sell My 2002 VTX To Buy Some Other Kind Of Toy... Just As I Give Up On It, A Guy Calls:D....
He Offors A 1996 Coachman (need a little work) And A 1989 Marathon Cuddyhas trailer duel axle(say all redone 2yrs ago)

Does Anyone Have A knowlage about these Boats? What To Look At And So on?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Looking For Others (ideas on a trade yes or no)

I had a Marathon and it was a well made boat...... it would REALLY depend on what power's the boat. If it is an OMC outdrive or a 470/3.7L motor walk away. Search on iboats for problems.

3.7 engines have problems?

Started A New Post

1989 Marathon Good or Bad

Before I Make The Trip To Look At The Boat I Was Wonder What Others Had To Say

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Marathon Good or Bad

Without knowing the size or what motor/drive it has, impossible to answer.

well, what i know is that it is a 21ft cuddy with full head... with a duel axle trailer...

QC

Supreme Mariner

A common mistake when asking this question is to assume that brand matters as much as it does with a car. Yes, there are bad builders, but there have been literally 1,000s of boat builders and they all kind of make the same thing. In the case of fiberglass, it is a molded blob of goo and glass. Attached to that blob is a bunch of components. Most of these components are generic and used across many many boat lines. typically the biggest and most costly component is the engine and drive package and there is no difference between boat builders on this piece.

Sooooo, the difference between boats of similar types without regard to engine stuff is the quality of the glasswork, the fasteners and their installation, and the quality of the wiring, gauges etc. Everything except the blob itself can be improved on by experienced owners. Good maintenance can keep a decent boat almost as good as new, and the engine package as well. There are some really bad engine packages and this may be the most important piece of info. as ezmobee has noted.

You'll find that manufacturer brand means less to those of us here than most of the other stuff. Exceptions? Of course. Cobalt come to mind as a boat that I consider above most others. And there are some boats that are often abused due to their "entry level" type pricing, Bayliner comes to mind. But you can find disaster Cobalts and awesome Bayliners, so this is more complicated than just "what's up with this brand?"

Take a look at some of the stickies, especially this one: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=300510

Good luck! :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Clearly a slow day at work for QC :p

QC

Supreme Mariner

Odd, I am too busy to read the whole thread yet I can bang out a rambling mini-dissertation. Doh!! :redface:

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went the trade my motorcycle for a boat route for a while and finally gave up. It seemed that everyone was trying to unload some large pieces garbarge that took up a lot of room or was incurring storage fees for something that was smaller and took up less room. You are getting what you pay for and that VTX is worth about $3.5K. I'd be very leery but no harm in going to look at the stuff. My guess is you'll get there and find both the RV and the boat to be total garbage but you may get lucky and find the one in a million.

Getting Back To This Topic....

Turns Out The RV Was More Work Then I Wanted BUt THe Boat Does Seem Good