1989 Johnson 20 HP carburetor linkage parts

J20CRCEM
The linkage rod that ties the carb to the timing plate is a small round stainless steel U-shaped rod, that snaps into plastic clips on both end.
These plastic clips have become kinda lose and the linkage rod tends to come off with throttle movement, causing the motor to die obviously.
Does anyone know where I can find those little plastic clips? Couldn't see them on any exploded view I looked at..... Thanks!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Retainer #313329 .... This part is found on the intake manifold parts page along with the link etc.

Thank you!
Wow...... I thought I was up for a dollar a piece or something like that.... $11.29 X 2 = $22.58!!!
....oh well, guess I have no choice if I want this linkage rod to stay in place.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
WOW is right! Highway robbery!

check with the outboard repair shops as they'll most likely have a dozen (good used or new) or more laying around.

EDIT: Additional thoughts!.... Examine the levers that the nylon retainer pops into for wear. It's not uncommon for the hole in the metal to actually enlarge with time.

Last edited by a moderator:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Spare part on the shelf for years / packaged / shipped to you for a 1989 motor sounds like a bargain to me.-----Identifying / packaging / storing spare parts is expensive and a thing of the past for many consumer items !!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
They are less expensive then $11.29 HERE at iboats, the host of this free forum....