1989 Johnson 15 longshaft(20") J15RLCEC Bent Shift Rod ?

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had to pry to seperate the lower unit(with 5" extension)from upper assembly to get my 3/8" socket onto the upper hex-head bolt to release the shift-rod. Upon examination, it appeared that the shift-rod was bent rearward 15 degrees. http://www.c-brats.com/albums/Adeline/Bent_Shift_Shaft.sized.jpg and I became concerned that I had bent it with my prying. I went on to examine the shift -rod in the gearcase and found that it was also bent in a way that matches the upper shift-rod(i.e. 15 degrees forward) web page C-Brats and now I wonder if there was always a "dogleg" in the shift-shaft. Since this is my first dis-assembly I simply don't know. Can an experienced wrench show me the light? Is this bend normal?

diggerdan17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Johnson 15 longshaft(20") J15RLCEC Bent Shift Rod ?

i also had to pry like abugger to get my lower unit off of my 15 horse evinrude 2 nights ago and saw that my linkage was kinked a bit ....needless to say i think thats the way they are made because i,ve reassembled mine and rebuilt the carb and its running better now than it ever did.good luck with that.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Johnson 15 longshaft(20") J15RLCEC Bent Shift Rod ?

my linkage was kinked a bit
I too think that the " Dog-Leg" is normal. I checked a parts diagram at "ISHOP MARINE" and it was there. Thanks for your kind reply. Happy Landings, Pete