1989 force o/b 85 hp. impeller change help please

swfladad

Cadet
My 1989 85 hp force o/b needed the impeller replaced. I have everything ready to install it but I need some help. I need to know where the rubber o-ring (flat) goes. also when I took it apart a snap ring that was broken fell out.Also what direction do the blades go on the impeller? a step by step guide would help. I will buy a book later,can't right now. thank you to all who can help me with this.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 force o/b 85 hp. impeller change help please

Read the sticky post at the top of the page. Off the top of my head, I don't remember a flat O ring or a snap ring up near the water pump on lower units from 1979 through 1989.

szealuss

Seaman Apprentice

I dont think there is a snap ring in your 85. The flat gasket goes under the flat metal. Put your foot in forward gear, turn the shaft to see which way the prop needs to spin, I believe it spins clockwise.

swfladad

Cadet

maybe the snap ring came from above and just landed on the lower unit,but there definitly is a flat rubber washer(lokks like a garden hose washer) because it came in the impeller repair kit.also, I need to know what way the blades on the IMpeller go in the water pump, not the prop blades.thanks again for your help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Some of these kits are generic and fit multiple engines. Your Force lower unit and water pump does not use the flat washer that looks like a garden hose washer. Did you read the sticky? I spent hours writing and editing it. It explains quite clearly how to bend the impeller vanes during installation.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

Read the sticky, its text book, youll find nothing better.

swfladad

Cadet

I don't know what you are talking about when you say read the sticky post at the top of the page. also the motor had that flat rubber washer when I took it apart. I just can't remember wher it went.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Scroll up to the top thread on this forum. It says : Sticky, step by step impeller change. Believe me: The answer to almost any question you may have is in there.

A "sticky" is a thread or post that is useful to many people, so the moderators elect to keep it permanently at the top of the listings of threads--hence the nickname sticky.

There are a number of O rings in that lower unit, but for the life of me I can't remember a flat garden hose type washer--perhaps you could include a photo. Are you sure it is not the water pump housing upper seal? That would be black, have a 7/8 inch hole and would be about 1 1/8 or so in outside diameter. There is also a (usually) white nylon locator ring that sits right below the seal. It is very close to the size of a garden hose washer.

By any chance, does your lower unit have a two piece drive shaft? A short stub shaft will stick out of the water pump and the splined collar of the long drive shaft fits over it. OR, does your lower unit have water intake holes running vertically up between the gearcase torpedo and the cavitation plate?
If either case is so, this is a newer than 1989 lower unit. Their water pump is slightly different and MAY use the washer you are describing--unfortunately, I don't have diagrams for those newer ones.

swfladad

Cadet

yes it does have the 2 piece drive shaft. the white nylon locater ring you mentioned does not come with my impeller kit. it came with the first kit I ordered which ended up being the wrong one. here is the kit number for the impeller kit that I ordered on line that is the correct one for my lower unit. quick silver marine parts & accessories. Fk 1204-1

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The gasket goes on the shaft over the water pump and the impeller will orient itself.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

AHA! So you have a 1989 engine with a newer lower unit. Perhaps the original owner replaced it or perhaps it was a late end-of-year year model with a 1990 lower unit installed at the factory. As far as I know, the two piece drive shaft was started in 1990. OR--perhaps the model number plate was replaced at some time and you really have a 1990 engine.

At any rate, most of the installation is the same as described in the sticky thread.

swfladad

Cadet

ok, I'll get it done tomorrow. thanks to all of you who helped. this site is a great help.I'll post a reply after I get it done.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Additional thought--- perhaps it is indeed a 1990 engine. To double check, there should be a paper sticker on the starter motor mount with the model number on it. If it is still there, check that.

rayderz1

Recruit

i have a 83 bayliner with a 85hp force the problem is when i lift the motor useing the tilt it dosen't stay up it comes down slow what could it be HELP!

swfladad

Cadet

I still need to know where this garden hose type washer goes,also when I have the impeller in the housing and I turn it upside down to look at it, should the blades be going in clockwise or counter clockwise motion?

swfladad

Cadet

ok I figured out where that washer type ring went. water pump is installed. just waiting to put the lower unit back on and hook up shifting linkge

soflaguy

Seaman Apprentice

Sure wish the poster would have told us where that washer went. He describes having an 89 85 hp motor.It is an "H" model fyi.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

On the two piece drive shaft: The flat washer goes on the stub shaft top of the water pump and I really don't know what it does. BUT: The factory would not have spent money putting it there if it did nothing. The circlip probably fell out of the center of the coupler. It keeps the coupler evenly engaged with the splines of the drive shaft and the stub shaft in the lower unit.