1989 Force 85hp Coil Question

Banoe

Seaman
My 85 Force has one cylinder that is not firing. I want to check the coils to see if they are bad. Can some one tell me the OHM readings for the coils (primary and secondary) Thanks

jkoppe73

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1989 Force 85hp Coil Question

outboard ignition.com has full testing proceedures for your engine on thier web site.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Just swap the coil with another.
Very easy to do.Just unhook the pack,one lead is red the other is orange.
Swap the position.
Very rare the coils go bad.
What one isin't firing?
If it's the middle cylinder and the coils are good.You can swap the packs around.
The bottom pack has the #2 cylinder as a spare.

FIRST!!!!!Do a compression test while your working on it.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

put your finger in the socket while a buddy turns the key...orrr check it the old fashioned way with a screwdriver - like jerry said though...its prob not the coils...i'm guessing the stator -

Jiggz

Captain

Process of elimination by swapping with a known working part is the best way to diagnose whenever possible. In your case, follow Jerry's lead.

Banoe

Seaman

Compression is 148/148/152lbs so I am think that is ok. I didn't have any testing info at my camp. I checked the coil with OHMs meter and got just a slight wiggle from the dial on the secondary side of the coil. Both the other coils show a reading so I am thinking bad coil on #3. I am going back this weekend armed with testers and repair manual wish me luck.

Banoe

Seaman

Ok i tested triggers all read 50 Ohms. Tested 1-2 stator wires 220v/1000 ohm. 3-4 wires 0v/0 ohms. So i am thinking bad stator is that correct? Checked wires they look ok. Can i use regular chicken foot puller and 1/4" bolts in holes to remove fly wheel or do i need some thing specal?

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds right to me. I went through the same process...you are about to partake on a journey that few men have gone. The notorious 85hp Force flywheel. I have heard rumors of people completely junking this motor because of the flywheel issue. Here is my link, however there are plenty on this forum. most important be patient! Good luck.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=565015

Banoe

Seaman

Sounds like fun nothing like beating on a motor with a big hammer to get the flywheel off. Kind of gets the juices flowing. I was wondering since there is still half the stator that is working can I hook up both cdi boxes to the working side of the stator? Also I looked on the outboard ignition.com site and they have stators for sale are their stators any good or do I need to get an OEM one?

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I purchased my Stator from CDI electronics. it bolted right up no problems. Make sure you hook up the correct CDI boxes to the correct wires. They included a good diagram and directions. think i paid about $140 shipped.
I don't think you can hook up the cdi boxes to the working side because they will fire out of order. you can try, but will more then likely get a nice backfire. (at least thats what happened to me :))
Hope you got it off..and DONT drop the flywheel key down the motor case...! i had to order another one of those too...

Banoe

Seaman

I was looking at the CDI installation directions and I am confused. Does the CDI stator only come with one set if wires or two like the OEM stator? I think I saw it only had one set and I would need to hook them all together.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

IF, I say IF you need a stator and buy one from CDI it will be the same as your old one.
You try changing the leads around?
Try swapping the packs?
Just throwing $ at the motor will eventually fix it.
You could need a new pack?? $300-$400 Another $175-$400 for a stator??
My motor started acting funny,good compression/and I thought weak spark on 1 cylinder.
Turns out it was a head gasket.
So check it all out.
Profile,location? You might be close to someone who can help.

Testing with out a peak reading volt meter will only get you 1/2 the results.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the one from CDI will be an exact replacement. The directions sound confusing, but when your holding it in your hands, it'll make sense and it is a perfect match. Just make sure you get the right wires to the boxes. I ended up taking the mounting bracket for the packs off and looking to be sure, its only 4 bolts and gave me piece of mind.
Just like Jerry mentioned - replacing the stator in my opinon is good anyways on a 30 year old motor, however, it may not be the problem, but a symptom of another issue - the stator can get fried because of bad coil packs, so make sure those are all good before putting in a new stator or you may just be wasting 200 bucks.

Banoe

Seaman

Jerry Jerry, I did change the coil leads to other pack and the dead plug fired. I may not have switched the stator leads 1-2 to the 3-4 locations. Should I try that too? If I remember correctly #3 was the same terminal as #1 would I move #2 to the #4 position to check? I did not get any readings from the 3-4 stator wires OHMS or Volts so I thought it was the stator. I am thinking I need to pull the flywheel and look at the stator and check the wires for breaks etc also.

I am in Southeast Pa. near Philly

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yes remove the flywheel and check.
If the dead plug fired when you swapped the leads??
Then I'd guess you need a pack not a stator.

I think FrankA lives in that area??

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not necessarly the coils if all you did was move the coil pack around...what you need to do is work backwards. Start with the bad plug, and follow the wire to the coil. Change the coil wire to a different spark plug and see if that works, if it does, then its a bad spark plug, if not, then work back to the stator wire, change the stator wire with one that was firing and see if the coil pack now works. if so then your almost sure its the stator. Through some trial and error testing you should be able to either identify the one bad coil if all the coils are working and one bad stator.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and the chances of "seeing" the issue on the stator is slim...its a magnetic field that is created from the rotation if the flywheel that sends the power to the coils. You might see some cracking on the inside of that flywheel however...I got lucky, with mine, new stator fixed everything

Banoe

Seaman

#3 cylinder/bottom has no spark.

If I swap the #1-2 leads from stator wires to the #3 power pack and the #3 plug fires then it would confirm that the.

Power Pack for #3 is OK.
coil for #3 is OK.
stator #3-4 wires are bad is that correct?

FrankA lives about 5mi. from me bought a 14' MFG from him. My son then 14 now 26 had a great time with that boat. Wish I still had it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

connectors.jpg

Get an OHM meter and test the resistance of the stator.
If you change the top pack and the bottom pack around and don't get spark on #3 the it's the stator.
Spark changes then it's a pack.

You change all the connectors like I suggested?
Might be something simple.