1989 FORCE 125 H/P Elusive Ignition Problem

WildWillJAX

Seaman Apprentice
First the bad news, I am working on a FORCE. Now for the secondary issues and questions.<br />First off, how do I determine what BRAND of ignition system have I encountered, the book (SELOC) lists Motorolla and Prestolite?<br />The ignition system has bright blue coils and control packs is this a clue?<br />Now for the problem.<br />This engine was recently overhauled (less than 50 hours ago) but has been sitting outdoors since 2001 and appears to be sound throughout except that it has a tricky and elusive ignition problem. With the motor tilted full down in the verticle position there is no secondary spark and will not start. Tilting the motor up about one third of the way and the engine will start and run good on occassions (a relative term). I suspect a loose connection in the wiring from the hull circuit to the motor. Am I on track? Could this be a stator or trigger problem? Any suggestions on voltage test points or secrets.<br />Thanks Will

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 FORCE 125 H/P Elusive Ignition Problem

Howdy, WildWillJAX.<br /><br />I think you are on the right track. I would look for a loose pin in the wiring cable connector at the engine. <br /><br />Another possibility is a broken wire in the cable itself.<br /><br />Good luck. :)