1989 Evinrude 88hp (charging system)

saycoda

Cadet
Hi,<br /><br />I recently picked up this engine and was told that the rectifier was no good, therefore it won't keep the battery charged. Can someone recommend a testing procedure to ensure that it is not the stator. I would like to fix this.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

ob

Admiral
Re: 1989 Evinrude 88hp (charging system)

saycoda,You can check the voltage while running on hose of the two yellow wires from stator and verify that they are putting out 18-20 volts a/c.Also check the voltage across the battery terminals before and after starting engine and see if the voltage increases while the engine is running.Should be putting out 13-14 volts d/c.

saycoda

Cadet

Just change the rectifier assembly to no avail. I measure ~16VAC coming off the stator (yellow wires).<br /><br />The followinw is the wiring scheme for this engine;<br /><br />TERMINAL BLOCK<br />1) Yellow<br />2) Yellow<br />3) Gray<br />4) Red<br />5) Red<br />6) Purple<br /><br />I wired the rectifier to 1) & 2) as AC input, and 4) for DC output (I also tryed 5 ).<br /><br />Anything else I could look for to keep this battery charged?<br /><br />Thanks in advance

ob

Admiral

With engine running ,have you checked the output voltage of the reg/rec?Are you getting more than 12 volts or an increase in voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running verses not running?Check continuity from the terminal block charge wire with it disconnected to the battery on the same wire and insure it isn't parted from the circuit.

saycoda

Cadet

Ob,<br /><br />"With engine running ,have you checked the output voltage of the reg/rec?"<br /><br />No, not diconnected only when connected to the terminal block.<br /><br />"Are you getting more than 12 volts or an increase in voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running verses not running?"<br /><br />No, there is no increase in voltage.<br /><br />I will do a thorough continuity check though. BTW, how do I tell if this is a regulated, or unregulated system? The service manual has two diagrams.<br /><br />Is ~16VAC coming from the stator high enough?<br /><br />TIA