1989 Evinrude 40 sitting for a year

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just got a deal on a boat with a rude 40 on it. The boat sat since 03 when both carbs were rebuilt. I know the owner tried to start it up with bad gas. I cranked it and it turns over well with great compression. I shot starter fluid in the cylinder and both fired for a second so I know it runs. <br /><br />Question- How do I get the bad gas out of the carbs before continuing with my tune up items?? Do I have to take them off or can I just shoot clean gas into them somehow?

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Evinrude 40 sitting for a year

since it sat long I would take them off and clean them also replace the lu oil and change the impeller

ob

Admiral

I recommend removing ,dismantling ,and thoroughly cleaning all of the passages and fixed orifices in both carbs.Last thing you want is a lean meltdown at speed.I'd replace the fuel filter as well.Could be gummy resiudue in it.If you plan on using the old fuel tank,same thing.Clean it thoroughly and flush the fuel hoses if not install new.Oh,and never use starting fluid on a two stroke outboard.<br /><br />After all of that ,the lower unit gear oil should be inspected for signs of water intrusion and replaced with new.Sparkplugs should be inspected and regapped to spec.Only use the recommended Champion plugs.

angus63

Captain

Remove bowls and dump fuel. Remove fuel line and dump fuel. Be careful not to knock floats out of adjustment with bowls. Do NOT use starter fluid on a 2 stroke (wipes cyl free of oil and causes scoring)!!! Use fresh 87 octane and TCW III 2 stroke oil @ 50:1 if your motor has no VRO or you are not sure it is functioning properly. I would also change water pump impeller for peace of mind and replace lower unit oil.<br />Welcome Aboard<br />Post often<br />Good Luck

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks fellas...much different from my Merc I/O and my Yamaha 225 EFI's.<br /><br />How about the trim motor? I go to raise it and it will go up VERY SLOW. I mean SLOW. Goes down OK but could be better. It's been rebuilt also. Do I just keep raising and lowering since I believe it's self bleeding or should I drain the fluid and refill?

angus63

Captain

Just top off fluid and lube the ram with light oil. Clean all of the connection (might be oxidized). If it's still slow and battery is good, trim motor may just be tired.