1989 EVINRUDE 120 VRO - HARD TO START COLD

97MACHZ

Seaman Apprentice
I HAVE AN EVINRUDE 120 VRO THAT I FIND DIFFICULT TO START COLD. ONCE IT IS GOING IT SEEMS TO RUN AND IDLE FINE.<br /><br />THE ONLY TIME IT IS HARD TO START IS WHEN IT IS FROM COLD, I.E. NOT STARTED FOR A DAY OR SO.<br /><br />HISTORY:<br />WARM COMPRESSION AT WOT IS 135-140 FOR ALL 4 CYLINDERS.<br />GAS IS NEW, PLUGS WERE AS WELL. <br />NOT SURE ABOUT SPARK STRENGTH.<br />ALSO NOT SURE OF GAS FLOW, BUT ASSUMING FROM RUNNING PERFORMANCE I THINK IT MUST BE FINE. IS THIS A POOR ASSUMPTION BASED ON THE INFO I PROVIDED? <br />GPS SAYS 39.8 MPH AT WOT OF 5400-5500 RPM. THE BOAT IS AN 18 1/2 FOOT ALUMINUM FISH AND SKI WEIGHING 1035 LBS.<br />PROP IS A SLIGHTLY BEAT UP 19 PITCH ALUMINUM.<br />I AM THE SECOND OWNER. THE CARGO, BATTERIES (4) AND I PROBABLY WEIGH 500 LBS BETWEEN US<br /><br />WHEN I TRY TO START IT I DO THE FOLLOWING:<br />I SQUEEZE THE PRIMER BULB UNTIL FIRM,<br />I HAVE THE SHIFTER IN NEUTRAL,<br />I START TO CRANK THE ENGINE BY TURNING THE KEY,<br />I LIFT THE CHOKE LEVER ABOUT 30 DEGREES OF THE WAY TO VERTICLE (90 DEGREES IS FULL CHOKE),<br />I CRANK AND CRANK AND CRANK AND WAIT FOR IT TO CATCH. SOME TIMES IT TAKES A WHILE TO CATCH, SO I INSTALLED A SECOND BATTERY BECAUSE I AM AFRAID OF KILLING A SINGLE BATTERY.<br />IT COULD BE A COINCIDENCE BUT SOMETIMES IT SEEMS TO CATCH WHEN I JOSTLE THE SHIFTER. THERE IS A BIT OF PLAY IN NEUTRAL.<br /><br />IS THIS A NORMAL STARTING PROCEDURE?<br /><br />ANY TIPS OR HINTS ON PROCEDURE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: 1989 EVINRUDE 120 VRO - HARD TO START COLD

The only engine i have used similar to yours is a 88 40hp vro rude.....In that motor the lever you speak of is a high idle lever and the choke was activated by pushing the key in (maybe yours is too??).......In that case I pulled the high idle lever all the way up after priming the ball till hard, then turned key to on (not start) and push key in for 8 seconds or so, then turned the engine over. Once it was started and warmed up a little i would push the high idle lever back down. If anything at least this will bump u up for more help.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

pony is right. You need to press key in to choke.(which is actually a primer solenoid) The lever is as he said a means to rev up in neutral.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

MACH - Please turn off the caps lock in future posts. It drives us older folks nuts as it is called shouting.

Javelin 353

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hold the key in for about 5 10 seconds will help alot if you have a key primer.

CounterRotation

Recruit

The primer solenoid is a valve which allows fuel to bypass the carbs and be deposited behind the reeds. The key switch must be held in while cranking for cold starts.

97MACHZ

Seaman Apprentice

First off, I appologize for the caps, force of habit from my work environment. I have to be quick and dirty, and a little lazy too. I think I'm a little deaf so maybe I can't hear myself type;)<br />In all the time I've owned this boat I never new that the reason for the spring loaded key was to activate the choke. HAHAHA! I always thought the lever was the choke. I guess it's a better motor than I thought because I always get it to start but not with the choke. I know, I know, read the manual. I'm gonna have to go back and see if that is actually mentioned. This is funny, but I don't think I'm going to tell anyone.<br />Cheers<br />PS - you'll love this - I just asked my buddy a few seats over if he has to hold in the key in for choke, to start the motor on his boat (92 40 HP Johnson) and he just looked at me like "duh!" of course, how else are you going to choke it?<br />Sigh!