1989 Evinrude 120 Tilt Sending unit replacement

natedogg3991

Cadet
The tilt sending unit on my 1989 120 Evinrude has failed. I followed the testing listed on the forums and it seems to point to that. When looking around for a replacement I believe that I need the 0583359 SENDING UNIT ASSY. I have looked a few places and checked with a local mechanic and they all say the part is no longer available.

Does anybody know if there is a new model that will work for this engine? It is a 1989 E120TLCEM? I have a found a few salvage sites that have them but not sure if it is worth the cost for a product that seems to have a short life span.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im not sure this will work but you might try OMC 586408. Im sure someone on this site will know for sure. Mine has gone bad also..I run with out it. I go by sound and rpm to find the sweet spot for the trim.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im not sure this will work but you might try 0586408. Might have to do some modifications to it. Im sure someone on this site will know for sure. Mine has gone bad also..I run with out it. I go by sound and rpm to find the sweet spot for the trim.

natedogg3991

Cadet
It is not a must have but it is definitely a nice to have. I would rather not fiddle with something if I am not sure if it is going to work. I am not technical enough to make something work that is not designed for it or compatible. I mean it seems like a pretty simple design so I was hoping that one for a newer motor would work but again not 100% sure.