1989 Bayliner Capri Bowrider w/ 125 Force

Reel-Fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought a 89' Bayliner Capri Bowrider with a 89 Force 125 boat has not been in water for over a year motor has been started on a regular basis once a month i went to see it hooked the battery up primed it twice and turned it over 3 times started right up and ran very smooth and nice the prop is chewed up really bad i was looking at different props on ebay some SS and some AL i was leaning to a SS prop what would be my advantages to a SS other than maybe strength. the boat needs some interior work. the Bowrider seats needs recovering as well as the seats next to the motor i was not able to water test the boat because of the chewed prop i did put it on with muffs just to test if it goes foward and backward it does that good i didnt want the prop to be so off balance that it breaks something. it does not have a tach so that i will need is that a hard installation? anyway i paid $800 for the boat it has a bimini top thats brand new the boat has 1 soft spot in the floor thats about 6 inches however i pulled the corpet up and looked at it its ply wood thats soft not fiberglass. the hull is in good condition but has the normal faded paint for a boat this age. i know the force motor is not the greatest out there but ive heard the 89 was the better year and its decent on gas i will mainly be using this boat in Tampa Bay and some parts of the gulf maybe a little tubing or skiing but mainly just joy riding to party islands or st. pete resturants. im prepaired to put a little money into before i put it in water to make sure i dont break down. what should i do to a boat that hasnt been in the water in a year before i take it out to make sure or do all i can to prevent it from happening i know my mother in law let her boat sit for a year locked the motor up we got it free'd up she took it out the next day and blew the lower unit out. i know the worst thing you can do to a boat is let it sit and not get any use so i want to do all i can before i risk breaking something. any advise would be nice! thanks!!!8)

Reel-Fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1989 Bayliner Capri Bowrider w/ 125 Force

Any Tips on this?

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

If they started it monthly without a water supply the impeller is shot. Woud suggest change lowere unit oil to check for water and replace impeeler. Sounds like u got a pretty good deal.d:)

Reel-Fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They said it had muffs on every time it was started but i figured i need to at least change the impeeler to be sure, should i buy factory repair manual or after market?
wont the factory be more detailed.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Depends on how good a mechanic you are. Aftermarket manuals tend to help the laymen out better by giving better descriptions on how things work. Factory manuals are more specific to the motor and gives no information on the functions of motors only the how to remove or install. If it were me I would get the clymer and the factory manual.

mchlmckee

Recruit

eurolarva said:
Depends on how good a mechanic you are. Aftermarket manuals tend to help the laymen out better by giving better descriptions on how things work. Factory manuals are more specific to the motor and gives no information on the functions of motors only the how to remove or install. If it were me I would get the clymer and the factory manual.

mchlmckee

Recruit

Sorry, I goofed up the first time in replying. It may be difficult to find a factory manual. I tried about a year ago for an 89 85hp Force with no luck. Purchased a Seloc manual. If you read some of the posts here you'll find that Seloc may not be best choice for Force. I would agree! Take Eurolarva's advise and purchase the Clymer. I believe you can find it at Amazon.com Try iboats but I think they only sell the Seloc Manual. Good luck with your purchase and happy boating

Reel-Fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

im a pretty good auto mechanic boat now thats a different story.i can rebuild anything on a car. im sure ill manage

tea08

Recruit

Any Tips on this?
You are fortunate to have found this boat, even if you have to put some money into it. I bought the identical boat at the end of last summer. I am pumping money into many aspects of it, but hope that after I do this, it should be fine for a while. My question hopefully is a simple one. How much oil do I mix in the engine? I was told by one marina mechanic and another one something different. I don't have the manual that tells. I tried 50/1 ratio and was told by most that it was way too much oil for the mix. I then was told to try 14 oz for 6 gallons and that seems to have helped the engine run better and eliminate some of the oil fumes. Can someone who knows what they are doing help me?

Scott from md

Recruit

I have the identical boat and motor. Mine says 50:1 and it ran great till I Ean aground last season. Lol...that's what I'm working on now!

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are fortunate to have found this boat, even if you have to put some money into it. I bought the identical boat at the end of last summer. I am pumping money into many aspects of it, but hope that after I do this, it should be fine for a while. My question hopefully is a simple one. How much oil do I mix in the engine? I was told by one marina mechanic and another one something different. I don't have the manual that tells. I tried 50/1 ratio and was told by most that it was way too much oil for the mix. I then was told to try 14 oz for 6 gallons and that seems to have helped the engine run better and eliminate some of the oil fumes. Can someone who knows what they are doing help me?

Not so sure I follow on the fortunat part.... but Mine said right on it to run 50:1.

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought a 89' Bayliner Capri Bowrider with a 89 Force 125 boat has not been in water for over a year motor has been started on a regular basis once a month i went to see it hooked the battery up primed it twice and turned it over 3 times started right up and ran very smooth and nice the prop is chewed up really bad i was looking at different props on ebay some SS and some AL i was leaning to a SS prop what would be my advantages to a SS other than maybe strength. the boat needs some interior work. the Bowrider seats needs recovering as well as the seats next to the motor i was not able to water test the boat because of the chewed prop i did put it on with muffs just to test if it goes foward and backward it does that good i didnt want the prop to be so off balance that it breaks something. it does not have a tach so that i will need is that a hard installation? anyway i paid $800 for the boat it has a bimini top thats brand new the boat has 1 soft spot in the floor thats about 6 inches however i pulled the corpet up and looked at it its ply wood thats soft not fiberglass. the hull is in good condition but has the normal faded paint for a boat this age. i know the force motor is not the greatest out there but ive heard the 89 was the better year and its decent on gas i will mainly be using this boat in Tampa Bay and some parts of the gulf maybe a little tubing or skiing but mainly just joy riding to party islands or st. pete resturants. im prepaired to put a little money into before i put it in water to make sure i dont break down. what should i do to a boat that hasnt been in the water in a year before i take it out to make sure or do all i can to prevent it from happening i know my mother in law let her boat sit for a year locked the motor up we got it free'd up she took it out the next day and blew the lower unit out. i know the worst thing you can do to a boat is let it sit and not get any use so i want to do all i can before i risk breaking something. any advise would be nice! thanks!!!8)

Like the others said, an impeller and a lower unit oil change should do. I had the "sister" of this boat a Maxum with this motor. 19 1/2' with a 19 pitch prop stainless worked well, even heavily loaded. Max rpms were 4500 for me.

Like the others said about the mixture, book calls for a 50:1. I ran a 56:1(2.25 oz/gl) for several hundred hrs. w/o issue just so it would help cut down on the exhaust fumes. I also leaned out the jets via adjusting them to max rpm's during idle. There is some controversy on this if you read some threads on this subject. In all my years of jetting, I go by the saying "It's not right nor wrong jetting. It either works well or it doesn't". Many many guys will tell you "only the factory recommended jetting is correct". for jetting to be correct, one must take in all the variables: altitude/temperature/humidity/fuel/compression/spark etc etc. Way too many variables to say "1 1/4 turns out is the best".

tds1774

Seaman

i did a search online and found a free repair manual in pdf format I cant remember which site but get me an email & I'll send it to you

wan2live

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congratulations on your find, I have a 87 I bought about 3 months ago for $500.00 and just finished the interior, it is not difficult to do but then again I did not go with all the sewing but if you search my posts you can see the photos of the restore.

My boat has a 50:1 mixture.

I would change the impeller as suggested and the foot oil, the people I bought mine from said the foot was done the year before but to be on the safe side I changed the oil.

Good luck and have fun. Welcome to Iboats