1989 Bayliner Capri 2.3 OMC - what's the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffM

Seaman Apprentice
So sometime last year I'm thinking about getting into boating. Co-incidentally, my Dad tells me about this guy at work who wants to sell his boat (as mentioned in the subject line). Hasn't been used for three years (guy had a medical condition) and upon inspection, I didn't think it had been used at all. Long story short, I bought it for $7000CDN ($4500US). My question? Why is it that every time I mention this boat to someone they snicker and roll their eyes? When I ask them "what??" they just say "have fun". Am I missing something? Is this the Gremlin of boats? Are there stories about this boat I should know about? <br /><br />For the record, in the year I've had it I've rebuilt the engine (my fault, apparently after 3 years of sitting its a good idea to replace the impeller. Apparently a lack of water makes the engine overheat :mad: ), but that's about it. Other than that it runs quite nicely.

anne

Cadet
Re: 1989 Bayliner Capri 2.3 OMC - what's the deal?

Bayliners are relatively inexpensive boats and the general consensus seems to be not of the most durable construction. I have a 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800 with a Force 120HP o/b (which by popular opinion it seems would be the real full-monty albatross!) I like my boat and so far have had no major problems with it. I can't speak to the 2.3 OMC i/o, I don't know what its reputation would be... But since you are knowledgeable enough to do work on it, I would think you'll be in good shape with the boat.<br /><br />Here's a recent thread on Bayliner Capris:<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000538 <br /><br />and there is a thread with a wealth of information on the Engines and Motors forum with contributions by the more knowledgeable folks around here -- a must read!!! --<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=17&t=003002 <br /><br />If it's running well for ya, sounds like a good boat to me! Just keep it dry when you're not out on it, take care of it, happy boating, and don't worry, be happy! :) <br /><br />-anne :)

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bayliner stamped the Capri's out like so many McDonald's hamburgers... They are a sexy boat, but not one that has a lot of personality...probably because there are simply so many of them that look just the same! But who am I to talk? I love Big Macs and used to drive a VW bug!!! Talk about mass produced!! Anyway, like Anne says...if well maintained Bayliners will give you plenty of years of enjoyment. What they won't tolerate is neglect or abuse...but then again, what boat thrives on that?? <br /><br />Friends of mine had a Capri that I suspect is a lot like Annes. They bought it new and logged many trouble free hours over the five years they owned it. However, even though it was in excellent cosmetic & mechanical condition...when they went to sell it in order to step up to a larger boat, they were heartsick to learn how badly their Capri had depreciated and was now worth. I suggested that they just keep it, but they had already put cash down on their new 22 ft. love...and were afraid that sooner or later their Capri would begin to require a lot of repairs.<br /><br />So, I guess in the boating world there are McDonalds & five star restaurants too! It kinda all depends on what a person can afford!<br /><br />Walt

JeffM

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I for one love McDonalds! So I guess I'm into the right boat. I have had a bunch of minor things go wrong (outside of the engine rebuild) that I could tell are just a symptom of neglect (plastic rail that the cover frame attaches to snapped off, speedo wouldn't work, trim solenoid blew, blower conked out, etc.). All of these I've fixed, but the one last thing that puzzles me is every weekend when I come back to the boat the darn battery is flat. The alternator checked out OK and I replaced the battery and sure enough by the next weekend the brand new one was flat. There are no wires hanging in water, and no, i haven't left the blower or marker lights on. I though maybe it was the auto-bilge so I disco'd it for a week but the battery still went flat. I'm going to put in a battery switch which will obviously remedy my problem, but I still can't help but wonder what is stealing all my juice.<br /><br />Now that all the little stuff has been fixed the boat runs really well. I suspect with the amount of attention I pay it it should stay this way. From a quality perspective I can tell the shifter is somewhat clunky, the steering isn't so precise and the hull is a little thin (pretty tough boat to drive in waves over a foot). Other than that I've grown pretty fond of it, and yes it is a pretty sexy boat. Which is precisely why my wife doesn't like me hanging around the docks in it without her! :cool: <br /><br />Oh, and thanks for that link Anne, I guess i should have surfed a little more before I started a new thread on the same topic! That is actually what I've been told. They are merely entry level boats and perform like entry level boats. Well I'm an entry level boater so its perfectly fine with me! I also heard that now that they own Doral they are beginning to use some Doral technology which has made them better.<br />Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.