1989 40 hp Evinrude ignition problem w/ electric start

chad1968

Recruit
Sorry did not list motor and year in previous post

ok motor cuts out over and over again. when it is cold it does ok for about 5 minutes then it will keep cutting out over and over. I put a timing light on it it seems to stop firing then start back. Runs good for 2 seconds then cuts out then runs over and over. I am think about replacing the coil but not sure that is it.....fuel pump all fuel lines are new. I took a smaller gas tank to the lake and used it elevated above the motor and pumped the bulb but it did not affect the problem. After I ran it for 15 minutes it would barley go above idle......Thanks in advance for any help.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 40 hp Evinrude ignition problem w/ electric start

Pull the coil wires and inspect where they go into the coil, bad contact=bad spark. Swap the coil wires around and see if the issue follows. While you are at it check the wiring doing to the powerpack and coil, check the harness over. If this motor has seperate coils you can swap them around to see if the spark issue follows the coil, if it does the coil is bad, if it doesn't then its something else.

Troubleshooting guide for OMC twins:

http://www.cdielectronics.com/downloads/troubleshooting guide/OMC 2 Cylinder 1978-2006.pdf

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 40 hp Evinrude ignition problem w/ electric start

check spark when engine is cold. then take it out and immediately check spark when it starts cutting out. use an adjustable spark tester, set at 1/2 inch. this will tell you which cylinder is failing, and if it is spark related.

Attachments

• spark tester.jpg
    spark tester.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 0