1989 4.3 OMC cobra resistor replacement

Stanp1

Seaman Apprentice
Guys,

can I replace the purple wire with an external resistor, or get rid of the purple wire and replace the coil with an internal resistor?

Re: 1989 4.3 OMC cobra resistor replacement

yes, the purple wire is spliced in the harness to the ign wire going to to the altenator field. I ran a new wire from the alt to the 1990 chey blazer 4.3 dist and coil, a real ignition:), set the timing at 10 deg at idle because the ignition module has a preset timing curve of 20 or 22 advancement depending on what yr vechile.. then tapped off the resisted wire.

Stanp1

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, but I have old fashioned points setup. Are you saying the Purple wire is spiced into a wire going to the Alternator thru the wire harness. If I want to replace that ballast resistor wire, place new wire from the pos+ side of the coil, attached to a resistor (external) and run a wire from the resistor to the Alternator?

Can't I just cut the ballast wire out and replace the coil with an internal resistor?

Either way should work, in my mind. But I was not 100% on this.

Let me explain why I want to do this. I am not blowing thru coils. I just have a 25 yr old set of wires. I would like to replace these old setups. But I hesitate messing with the ballast wire.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You are way better off going with a non resistor coil. The reason is that, when you start, the resistor is bypassed to give a full 12V to the coil which you of course won't get with an internal resistor coil.

Idle timing for the 4.3L engine is 6? with a total advance of an extra 12? to 18?.
omctiming.gif

Bruce is right, the extra voltage at startup helps. If the resisted wire looks good their is no need to replace it. When they go bad they get stiff and melt the insulation. If it's pliable with a good crimped and sealed end on the coil side I wouldn't replace it.

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bumping up this thread... I'm suspecting that my resistor wire is bad on my '93 5.0 OMC Cobra. Motor will start and catch, but not run unless the ignition switch is being turned (starter turning).
How would I go about replacing the resistor wire? Can I wire in a ballast resistor?

Bondo

Staff member

yes, the purple wire is spliced in the harness to the ign wire going to to the altenator field. I ran a new wire from the alt to the 1990 chey blazer 4.3 dist and coil, a real ignition:), set the timing at 10 deg at idle because the ignition module has a preset timing curve of 20 or 22 advancement depending on what yr vechile.. then tapped off the resisted wire.

Ayuh,.... That's a BOMB, Waitin' to Explode...

A Chevy ignition is NOT spark protected...

Yes you can run a wire straight from ignition source like the alternator. Instead of a ballast resistor I would run a resisted coil to keep it clean and cut down on terminals. Pentronix flamethrower coil is resisted. Also use bare terminals and heat shrink with sealing glue in it, you can get it at harbor freight lol.

Ayuh,.... That's a BOMB, Waitin' to Explode...

A Chevy ignition is NOT spark protected...

Really, hmmm. Yes it is spark protected, the cap has no vent on the small cap hei, Delco est. The vent hole is in the base of the distributor with the same screen that a marine distributor has. It is approved by the cost guard.

As another boater said

Originally Posted by Moe94
I have a 87 350 small block can i use an HEI distributor on my engine to replace the old one?
Ayuh,... If it's off an ole Chevy motor, with a vacuum pot, No,...

If yer lookin' at the new Delco EST hei's that are built for Boat motors,...
Ya, it's 'bout the Best thing goin' these days...
Reasonably inexpensive too...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bumping up this thread... I'm suspecting that my resistor wire is bad on my '93 5.0 OMC Cobra. Motor will start and catch, but not run unless the ignition switch is being turned (starter turning).
How would I go about replacing the resistor wire? Can I wire in a ballast resistor?

You need to start a thread of your on Ck, not hijack someone elses thread. Please read the announcement at the top of this forum.