1989 200XP Compression numbers

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice
After doing a decarb, I checked the compression on my Rude and found that there was not much difference between cylinders, just they all seemed low. Can someone tell me what the compression should be on this engine?<br /><br />Here is what I got:<br />All cylnders were between 85 and 87 psi.

angus63

Captain
Re: 1989 200XP Compression numbers

Compression gages vary alot. Method also causes variance (hot,cold,wet,dry,openthrottle,closed,crank speed, etc..). As long as all are within 10%, usually good to go. May want to borrow another gage out of couriosity.<br />Good luck

Walker

Captain

A simple rule of thumb. If the motor starts easily then you have enough compression. Low compression motors are hard to start.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The OE service manuals call for a difference of no more than 15 lbs (not %) so youre good to go. The heads on your particular motor have a lot to do with the actual number as do gauges.<br /><br />A good decarb may not be a bad idea too.<br /><br />Good luck!

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I checked the compression with the engine warm and with the throttle in the idle position. It has been hard starting, that is why I did the compression check. Now after the decarb, it seems to start much better.

Sivart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 92 model XP 200 Evinrude. Mine has been very hard to start also. I did find out this weekend that after I pump the primer bulb I held the key in for 2 seconds rather than five it start great. It has worked perfectly the last 4 mornings I tried it that way. It has always started up fine after the first start but that first start of the day is a booger. Not now. I do know if I hold the key in any longer that 2 seconds it is flooded.

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well here is what I have on mine (1988 J225) which was checked Sunday afternoon. All are 88 to 90 psi. I have been told this is normal for these engines because they were only around 100 or so when new. I was also told they were like this due to the switch over from leaded to unleaded and lowered the compression ratio to compensate for not having lead in the fuel to help control the knocking.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Walleyeman and Brian,<br /><br />While I'm not sure what the effect would be on the compression numbers, my Clymer manual says to do the compression test with the engine warm and the throttle in the wide open position. Mine is an '89 150 XP, and I believe my manual covers your engines too. Much to my surprise, my old engine read 99 - 102 on all six cylinders when following the WOT method.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The heads, port area and port timing have more to do with what you see as actual numbers than the compression ratio. The loopers were all built and sold well after the switch over to unleaded fuel.<br /><br />You could lower some port openings and raise the static readings but the power would fall off dramatically.

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

I will try a compression check while in WOT. I will post the results.