1989 189 Horizon-where is the fuel tank?

FinnanHaddie

Recruit
Probably sounds like a dumb question, but having looked and googled I can't seem to find out where 4Winns hid the fuel tank on this critter. I'm wanting to swap out the antisiphon valve and get a look at the fuel sunder.
Also, I'd like to be sure the vent line is clear, and can't figure how to remove the chrome cover over the vent line? I'm assuming that's the tank vent, right next to the filler.
The reason for all of this is that we just bought the boat and have had some issues that feel like fuel delivery to me. It would run, then stumble, particularly if it was being run at a steady RPM for a bit. Changed the fuel filter and gassed it up again and it actually made it run worse...which is why I was suspecting the vent. I I have a new fuel pump ready to install, and if that's not it my research leads me to the anti-siphon valve, vent line, or possibly the ESA switch or module. I did replace the spark plugs which didn't fix the problem but at least the exhaust smells less gassy.
The boat is equipped with a 2.3L Ford motor coupled to the standard OMC Cobra drive. So far I have nothing to the control cables or messed with the switches.

jasondw78

Cadet
I know it's not the same year but I have a 2000 Horizon 180 and to get to the fuel tank, you remove all panels behind the back seat and around it, to remove a panel on the floor which allows access to the fuel tank.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Vent removes by pulling the hose and hose clamp off the inside, then removing the nut securing the vent to the hull

On your 35-40 year old boat, check for rot in the stringers and transom

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
FWs of that era had a hatch over the gas tank screwed down into the mounts for the tank. That stuff on mine was all cheap pine that replaced with mahogany when I redid the deck 15 years ago. Literally 3 of the 4 mounts rotted off.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
FWs of that era had a hatch over the gas tank screwed down into the mounts for the tank. That stuff on mine was all cheap pine that replaced with mahogany when I redid the deck 15 years ago. Literally 3 of the 4 mounts rotted off. The hatch was just a piece of carpeted plywood.

FinnanHaddie

Recruit
Thanks for the replies, found that the screws on the floor in front of the engine fastened the hatch down. Opened it up and there it was.
I found the stringers to be in very good condition, all nice and solid. It is an older boat that has been well cared for, stored inside, and between coughing fits starts right up and runs nice.
Anyway, was able to completely drain the tank, checked the siphon valve, replaced the fuel pump which might have been the original, emptied the fuel filter, and poured some seafoam into the vent horn of the carb. Even cleaned out the screen in the carb, which was already pretty clean, guess the main filter is doing it's job. Today the plan is to fill it with rec fuel and try it again.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Lucky to have found one that was stored inside. The kind of construction they used is very rot prone if stored outside. After we re did the deck in mine I threw out all the carpet and had the deck gel coated in non skid gel coat. Sealed all the screws that hold down the seats. And the boat is never left out uncovered.
Have you taken the carb apart & cleaned each passage & re-assemble with new gaskets? Boats that are stored during the off-season often have trouble with evaporating fuel deposits clogging jets & passages. My Rochester Quadrajet has gotten rebuilt about 3x since I’ve had it that’s like every 7 years.
Does the boat have a large canister style water separating fuel filter? If not I’d install one. The Rochester carbs do have that small inlet filter but that isn’t adequate for marine use. I think the Ford 2.3 came with a Rochester 2 bbl.
I always dump out my fuel filter into a Mason jar to see what the gas looks like. All we can get here is E10 but after the initial change over I haven’t had problems.

FinnanHaddie

Recruit
It has a canister style filter, originally had a Mallory filter on there. Replaced it with a Sierra Marine filter which is what the local shop had. I didn't want to chance stealing one of the wife's mason jars, so I didn't get to check the condition of the fuel. It was rather suspicious in my view that it ran really poorly after filling it up at that station, which I will be avoiding in the future.
It does have a Rochester 2 barrel, which probably could use a proper clean out. We'll see if the seafoam helps.
We live in a recreational area so recreational fuel is available, expensive, but available. It's more important for the proper operation of 2-cycle engines but none of the older boats were designed with drinking moonshine in mind!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’ve been running E10 in 5 different 2 stroke yard engines with no problems for close to 20 years and they range in age from 12 years old to 25 years old.
Yep they sell Tru Fuel here Pre mix with 2 stroke oil mixed in but it’s $8 a gallon or more so I mix my own

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
tank mounting.jpg
You're lucky you don't have to do this!
I used mahogany to make the framing for the gas tank mounts. Still solid 15 years later.Boat 1.jpg
done in 2007