1988 V6 4.3L GM Searay Distrubutor Gear Stripped

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice
I was woken this afternoon to help get my dad out of the lake since he took it out for the first time since the winter. He was going across the lake and suddenly his motor mad a bump sound and is locked up. Has an 1985 Searay with a GM 350 in it. I made it about half the distance as he did when suddenly mine made a poof/bump noise and just quit. I looked at the guages all was fine. Temp/Voltage/Fuel. Checked the oil it was perfect and new. I just replaced the plug wires on it since it was jumping fire to the block and was causing it to miss sometimes. Apparently that was fixed since the motor ran great when I hit the water before it suddenly died. I get the boat back home and start the process of elimination. It turned over a couple times. It was getting fuel you could tell it had plenty of compression. I started suspecting it not firing. After checking for fire the engine if cranked again. I pulled the distributor cap and attemped to turn the shaft. Wola. I could turn it and even fell it catch sometimes. So I pulled it out and sure enough the gear is striped. I hope the cam is fine. The real questions is what lead up to this to happen? The only other thing we had done to the boats was change the lower unit grease. We are using the same kind. I wonder if its possible it had something to do with it. Dosent seem likely though. I just wanted to here others thoughts on it. Could the engine some how seized and caused the shaft gear to get stripped or did it just simply fail? Normally the motor would start at the bump of the key everytime until now of course.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1988 V6 4.3L GM Searay Distrubutor Gear Stripped

This same thing happened to 2 different engines/boats?

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

This same thing happened to 2 different engines/boats?

Mine I confired the Distrubutor since I pulled it out and the engine would spin over. MY dads searay the one I was going to pull in, his motor is seized. You turn the key you hear a low tone bump and thats it. But yeah two boats break 2 engine with in an hour. Blows my mine.

Don S

Sounds like improper winterization. Pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand and see if water comes out of any cylinders.

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

Will do on the boat we where going after since its seized. Mine starts and wasnt winterized. It never gets cold enough here. I just drained the water from the jackets changed oil, plugs, filters, treated fuel. I cranked my engine at least once a weak hooked to water. I even have had it out before this and didnt have a problem. That was before changing the lower grease. What would you think about my v6 GM 4.3L? The distributor gear is striped on one side. I guess it was able to catch hold a couple times since i can crank it. Weird it sounded in time. What are the possibilities that the cam gear is damged and need replacing? I assume the gear pieces that broke and metal shaving went to the bottom of the oil pan and is going to be caught by the magnet. Or would I be stupid not to pull the engine and dump the oil pan ?

Don S

It does get cold enough there to freeze and crack blocks. All it takes is ONE night with low enough temps (in your area, not the new cast) to destroy a block, manifold or whatever.

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

It does get cold enough there to freeze and crack blocks. All it takes is ONE night with low enough temps (in your area, not the new cast) to destroy a block, manifold or whatever.

Okay. Back to the question. With the distributor gear stripped what else am I looking at? Or whats the possibility of more internal engine damage vs just changing the gear on the distributor and run it? Thats my original question.

Coors

Captain

The distributer gear is softer than the cam gear, in order to sacrifice itself when something (the cam) locks up.
Your cam locked; did the engine? Try pulling the plugs and turning it over.
You may have to pull the drive, and retry, if it won't turn over.

Coors

Captain

Also, check to see if your oil level is high.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

be curious as to why the gear stripped... Did it shred the gear or wreck the pin?
If the gear is kaput.... obviously the best thing is to pull the motor an drop the pan... anything else is russian roullette... but its up to you.

Don S

It's very simple. Pull the distributor out and look at the gear on both the distributor and the cam. If there are pieces missing on either, then .............................

Coors

Captain

If the pin or the gear broke; problem involving the cam/crank locking.
Unless the prop hit something. That gear and pin are designed to be a weak link.
Even in automotive.

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

Unless the prop hit something. That gear and pin are designed to be a weak link.
Even in automotive.

Thanks for all the replys. I have already pulled the distributor and almost just over 1/4 round of the gear has stripped teeth. The motor isn't locked up at all. It's completely free. However, not sure what locked up the motor. The engine in its current position barley shows just above full of oil. Not a clue to what caused it it to do this.

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

Even in automotive.

far as the prop hitting something. This kinda alarms me back to me original post. WE both changed the lower unit grease. I believe it was 90-80w or something tot hat nature. I will pull the bottle if it could be a problem NE ways, is it possible instead of hitting something with the prop ( no noise was heard during failure) is it possible there was a problem with the grease that caused the lower unit to fail and seized the engine or can I scratch that completly out? It didnt even run 5 -10 minutes full throttle before it happened.

Don S

Something has to lock up the distributor to cause it to shear the pin or break the gear. It spins very easily and there isn't enough inertia in the rotor to cause the distributor shaft to keep spinning and break things, even if the engine stopped suddenly.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The Oil Pump is also driven off that Gear,.....

Maybe you've got to look Lower, at the Oil Pump..... Does it turn easily,..??

Don S

Ayuh,... The Oil Pump is also driven off that Gear,.....

Maybe you've got to look Lower, at the Oil Pump..... Does it turn easily,..??

Danged, forgot about the oil pump :redface:

What does the oil look like bp

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

Danged, forgot about the oil pump :redface:

What does the oil look like bp

The oil is dark colored. Like used oil. I remember checking it as soon as this happened. It was either clear or hardly on the stick. I had it changed. I rechecked it right away and it was just over the full mark and apeared normal color (some what clear) currently it is dark maybe even black. This has also made me remeber when I pulled the distributor out, there the top portion of the shaft (above the gear) didnt have any oil on it. The gear didnt have much either. I'll stick a long handle screw driver in the pump and see how it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.