1988 or 1989 Spectrum, which one?

"B"

Seaman Apprentice
I just got this boat and don't really know what I have othe than a leaker. It has an 85hp Force engine that runs great, 34 on the water. It has a step on the transom open bow/with fishing seat provisions seats 5 by the placard windshield with bimini top and long rails from top of windshield to about three quaters of the way back. Any ideas?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1988 or 1989 Spectrum, which one?

What does the HIN say? The last two numbers in the HIN should tell you.

"B"

Seaman Apprentice

What does the HIN say? The last two numbers in the HIN should tell you.

So, it's an 89 then. Thanks the last 3 numbers were 889 and from what I was reading out there they could hVE INDICted the production month and year of year and month. So thanks!!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well actually it's only the last two numbers during those years. Yes, if it ends in 89 then that is what it is. Do not think you will get OEM replacement parts for a boat that old............ only aftermarket parts.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

look like this????????

PICT0679.jpg

PICT0680.jpg

PICT0678.jpg

this is my 1989. i have a 50hp though. quicksilver will be where most parts come from. and ive had some issues finding a couple things but ebay fixed that. lost of parts there too. ive replaced
head gasket
exaust chest gaskets
cdi
coil
thermoswitch
carb
clutch dog
some parts are obsolete. so look for used. most are still available.

i sawed the lond window brackets off mine for rod holders to be installed. put a bimini on it couple weeks back. also restored entire floor and interior this spring. i like mine. done me well for being 24 years old. trailer is rust free today. galvinized.

"B"

Seaman Apprentice

Yes it does... I noticed a strip running along your keel, what is it? I guess they must all leak along there.
You said you replaced your floor, Were you able to remove the floor with out having to tear out the carpet first? I want to het to the inside hull to seal it up but my floor and carpet in great condition and I'm not really wanting to have to replace it right now. Thanks for the photos and helping identify mine. Did they have a name designation for this boat or just go by the 1700 as an identifier.

Thanks again,
"B"

:):)
look like this????????

PICT0679.jpg

PICT0680.jpg

PICT0678.jpg

this is my 1989. i have a 50hp though. quicksilver will be where most parts come from. and ive had some issues finding a couple things but ebay fixed that. lost of parts there too. ive replaced
head gasket
exaust chest gaskets
cdi
coil
thermoswitch
carb
clutch dog
some parts are obsolete. so look for used. most are still available.

i sawed the lond window brackets off mine for rod holders to be installed. put a bimini on it couple weeks back. also restored entire floor and interior this spring. i like mine. done me well for being 24 years old. trailer is rust free today. galvinized.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

no the strip on the keel is a keel shield. protects the keel when beaching on gravel sand ect.

http://www.iboats.com/Hull-Keel-Pro...ft-_-Anchoring Docking:Bing-_-e-_-keel shield

i won a $300 keel shield gift certificate on a catfish forum in on several years back. they were a sponser.

no, if you want at hull it has to be tore out. its all rivets holding it down. i replaced everything. heres a link to the restore project.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=552883&highlight=catillac+restore

heres the new top i installed.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=562558

as far as leaks. mine doesnt much at least after i patched the hole in the hull, lol. take everything out of the hull compartment and put a hose in the rear where the cooler is. bilge area. put some water in the bottom with plug in. do it when the boat is dry. then maybe you can find and isolate the leak. i get a lil bit in mine but nothing the pump wont take care of while crusing. prob rivets. they can be replaced from the outside and sealed with epoxy if thats the problem. thats another thing i plan on doing at the seasons end. checking and replacing any leaking rivets.
the 1700. = 17' boat. and from what ive seen it reffered to as 1700 fish and ski blue fin.

"B"

Seaman Apprentice

Looks real nice. I guess I'll just seal it froom the outside for now and save the inside repaiars for the winter. Thanks alot I really appreciate your info and quick response.

Good fishin,

"B"
no the strip on the keel is a keel shield. protects the keel when beaching on gravel sand ect.

http://www.iboats.com/Hull-Keel-Pro...ft-_-Anchoring Docking:Bing-_-e-_-keel shield

i won a $300 keel shield gift certificate on a catfish forum in on several years back. they were a sponser.

no, if you want at hull it has to be tore out. its all rivets holding it down. i replaced everything. heres a link to the restore project.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=552883&highlight=catillac+restore

heres the new top i installed.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=562558

as far as leaks. mine doesnt much at least after i patched the hole in the hull, lol. take everything out of the hull compartment and put a hose in the rear where the cooler is. bilge area. put some water in the bottom with plug in. do it when the boat is dry. then maybe you can find and isolate the leak. i get a lil bit in mine but nothing the pump wont take care of while crusing. prob rivets. they can be replaced from the outside and sealed with epoxy if thats the problem. thats another thing i plan on doing at the seasons end. checking and replacing any leaking rivets.
the 1700. = 17' boat. and from what ive seen it reffered to as 1700 fish and ski blue fin.