1988 Mercury 50hp 3cyl

bigshrimpin

Seaman
Hello!! I'm having some issues with this motor not starting.

I have spark on all three cylinders (pulled plugs and can see spark on each one) After replacing the trigger, stator, and switchbox. Trigger and Stator test out in Spec per manual. I sprayed a little fuel into the cylinders to help it along . . . but it just won't kick over. Primer bulb gets hard and fuel is making it to the fuel filter . . . even sprayed some fuel into the throats of the carbs.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Is it even possible to install a trigger or stator incorrectly?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1988 Mercury 50hp 3cyl

are the plug wire in the correct position?

jmburock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are your carbs flooding? . My 87 Mariner 3 cyl won't start if I give it too much gas on start-up, never need the enricher valve/ choke. Check your plug condition to look for fouling. Pump up your bulb then tilt the engine all the way up and look for fuel flowing out all over the place- at least that way you know gas is making it to the carbs. If you got spark and fuel, only leaves compression- but I doubt that would cause a no start condition. jeff.

bigshrimpin

Seaman

Yikes . . . I poured some gas out into a glass and it's a solid milky yellow color . . . not sure how it got that way. Compression is 120psi in all 3 cylinders. Going to get some fresh fuel and try again.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Fresh fuel is a must. Drain your carbs out as well, because they will be full of the old wet stuff.

You asked about probability of installing a stator/trigger incorrectly.... If you have had them off, did you perform a lync and sync after re-installation to double check proper ignition timing?

bigshrimpin

Seaman

Ok . . . Here's an update.

Put in new fresh fuel . . . drained the carbs . . . pulled the plugs . . . turned over the motor and I get a nice very fine mist of fuel coming out all 3 holes. Fuel through the carbs is good. I think it's safe to say that there's no problem with fuel delivery.

Double checked the firing order 1-3-2 and made sure the green is on #1, green/red #3 and green/white #2 .

I'll try the sync and link per the manual . . . What else is left?

What bother's me is that the motor acts like it's there's no spark when I put the plugs in.