1988 Mercury 175 - Skips Under Load

jkering66

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br /><br />I have a 1988 Mercury 175 on a 1986 Grady white Overnighter 208, 20'.<br /><br />When trolling or full throttle it runs great.<br /><br />When getting up to plain slowly or holding the boat at bow up before plaining when the engine is under heavy load it skips and does not appear to be running correctly.<br /><br />Someone mentioned replacing the "Power Pack". Is that possibly the problem or could it be something else.<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />-Jack-

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Mercury 175 - Skips Under Load

is this something new or has it always done it. its not uncommon to shake when its getting lugged. the motor is severly overlaoded when holding the bow up. its not designed to run like that.before you start buying switch boxes some trouble shooting is in order. when was the last fuel pump service? when was the last filter service. when was the last decarb? has this motor been serviced regularly by a professional or just when its broke?<br /> the switch boxes are about 160 each and there are 2. if you wish to trouble shoot this you will need a timining light, peakreading voltmeter a CD-77 works for all motors both 2 and 4 stroke I/O and outboard, a s48 spark tester or equivalent. just holding the plug to the block sometimes does not mean much.<br /> how does the motor start and idle? how is it a 3K 4K and 5K?

jkering66

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1988 Mercury 175 - Skips Under Load

Thanks for the responce.<br /><br />The motor does not shake too much when attempting to plane, it just skips, similar to if you bad plug wire. <br /><br />Motor was totaly serviced 2 years ago, new head gaskets, fule pump, water pump, thermostats and fuel filters. <br /><br />Motor starts and idles great, and WOT it also runs great. This Merc. is mean at WOT.<br /><br />Just when getting "lugged" it appears to skip.<br /><br />I did not notice this issue 2 years ago after the service, just last year. Noticed it more toward the end of the boating season.<br /><br />-Jack-