1988 Johnson 140

I just recently purchased a 1988 johnson 140 to put on the back of my boat. When I purchased it and did the swap it ram well. Started with ease. However i did notice a black oily residue dripping from the prop down the foot after i ran it in the drive way with muffs. I figured that was fine since the motor hasnt been run much it was unburnt oil. Then when i took it out for a test run, started great, ran great, I cut the motor off at a friends dock. Talked for about 45min the started the motor and started to idle towards the boat ramp and the motor shut off and would NOT start back. Has in L77JC4 plugs that are BLACK from oil over the years. Changing to QL78YC. Could all this have happened because i am running my fuel mix to rich?

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 Johnson 140

Premix fuel should be 50:1, or 1 pint of oil to every 6 gallons of gas.

SparkieBoat

Captain

it is possible to foul out plugs, however too much oil will not damage the engine in any other way...do a compression check then a spark test with a spark gap tester set at 7/16 inch.

ok thanks guys! I fixed all running issues with the motor... changed from QL77 to QL78 plugs and new fuel water separator system and problem solved. not to the final issue(for now). The steering is TIGHT!!!! When i disconnect the steering rod from the motor it is like butter!!!! So that eliminated that issue. With the steering rod disconnected the motor can NOT be turned by hand which means the problem is in the pivot point of the motor. I see that the motor has one grease fitting which I greased but grease only came out of the bottom seal and not the top. The old grease was a little rusty and the motor is still hard to turn. I was wondering what i should do to loosen the steering up. thanks for all of you help thus far!

SparkieBoat

Captain

you can try chipping away some of the rust with a hammer and screw driver..maybe even lifting up the motor on a hoist so you can clean the contact point where the weight of the motor rest on the pivot..and use some grease.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try mixing some atf and acetone 50:50 and squirting it in the upper area. Work the mtr back and forth and try some more. A little heat from propane torch may also help. At the same time keep pumping your grease gun.

I have tried everything except the torch. Can I get the motor too hot? I just feel a little uneasy about putting a torch to the motor. I feel like i could ruin something. Any and all input on this is GREATLY appreciated!

oh yeah i tried with a heat gun but that obviously does not get it hot enough to liquify the old grease!

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have rubber seals at the top and bottom of the pivot/steering arm, be careful with excessive head and corrosive materials. I will recommend you remove,clean and service it the right way ...