1988 Force 85 rebuilt fuel pump runs worse

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So yesterday I did the impellar, it was shot and that was a success. Then I did the fuel pump and was very careful to get the valves and diaphram in correctly. I do have a Clymers and have read many threads here. It fired right up on the muffs so I went to the river this morning. I noticed a slight hiccup or backfire at idle a couple of times, it had never done that before. Went to WOT ok and backed off to cruise for 10 minutes. Slowed down and it died! No fuel in the ball. Pumped the ball and it finally got hard(long time) it started but died when I tried to go more than idle in gear. It was very hard to start again and when it did we limped back to port. It wasn't running on all cyls. and would not run anymore than just above idle speed. Pulled the plugs and they all look alike. 1 and 3 cyls look wet but 2 looks dry. One other thing, when I got home and ran it on the muffs I notice a little grey milky goop coming out of the exhaust fin with the water. Is that normal, I had never noticed it before.:confused:

john from md

Commander
Re: 1988 Force 85 rebuilt fuel pump runs worse

If number 2 plug looks dry, take the pump apart again and see if you accidentally tore the diaphram.

I have found that, if the diaphram is torn on the first stage area of the pump, the number two cyliner will look like it is not getting fuel. I believe this happens because the number two clyinder is ported to the pump to operate the pump. When the seal is broken, the vacuum loss keepsdoes not allow the piston to pull a full charge into the cylinder.

John

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks John, I check it and let you know. Also the manual is telling me that my plugs are cold fouled? Not sure how to correct that. Gonna redo a comp test too. O.T.

john from md

Commander

Surface gap plugs do not have the same heat range characteristics as L gap plugs. Force engines normally foul plugs at lower rpms because the engines were designed to spend most of their lives at WOT.

John

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got it, Thanks