1988 Force 50hp Timing Adjustment - Help Please

blueoval78

Seaman Apprentice
My 1988 Force 50hp outboard is currently spitting/coughing every 20 seconds or so at idle - a problem that I self-diagnosed through reading other posts as timing that appears to be slightly too advanced. My question is, since I don't have the tools to adjust the timing properly, can I simply back-off the timing arm slightly until the spitting/coughing stops as a temporary solution until I can get the boat to a mechanic? Another related question, would timing too far advanced give you better high-speed performance but spitting/coughing at idle?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Force 50hp Timing Adjustment - Help Please

Coughing and spitting.It could be more than a timing issue.Carb/reeds/ diaphram/water.Try adjusting the air screw.In all the way and out 1 and 1/8 turn out.In the water running and warm turn in the screw till it bucks and then out 1/2 turn.
You really need a timing light and a manual to check/adjust timing.
You could do more damage.

blueoval78

Seaman Apprentice

I guess I should also say that I had the fuel pump and carburetor rebuilt in June by a large, well known marina; ($100/hr!!!) which is why I now suspect timing unless the mechanic didn't adjust the idle mixture correctly...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Just because they are expensive don't mean they do it right.Try adjusting the air screw before you get into timing.They might have pre-set it when they were done.Was it tested when they were done with it.It needs to be ran and adjusted in the water.
The timing usually never needs to be adjusted,unless someone has tinkered with it,J

metor99

Seaman

jerryjerry05 is correct. It is the air screw not the timming bar. The timing bar on a 50 likeyour and mine does nothing when not at full speed and then it is only a little differance when adjusted.

blueoval78

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I turned the idle screw all the way in to soft-stop, then out 1 turn as per the manual says. The motor was still coughing so I turned it out slightly more and the coughing stopped. I thought everything was great but now it seems like the motor is idling too high. In neutral, I idle at ~ 1200 RPM's and in gear close to 1000 RPM's. I wouldn't be concerned about this except when I shift in reverse, the motor really bucks hard and I'm scared I'm going to break something.

What's normal idle speed in neutral?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The rpm in gear at idle is 750.Adjust the TOWERSHAFT#4 and 5. to make the idle go down/up.This pics is for a bigger motor but you get the idea.J

Attachments

• Force parts.jpg
    Force parts.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 5