1988 Force 50 won't run when wired per the diagram?

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice
I'm 100 times sorry and will not pull my old thread again. Finished the rebuild of my 1988 Force 50 and had no spark at either plug when wired per the digram in my Claymers manual. We did some common sense wiring and were able to get it running at idle and it would rev ok in reverse, but would spit and sputter & stall in forward. The wire colors were different from the ones in the book, so I pulled another wire diagram from another post and it list most colors that I have with the exception of a blue wire from the stator that was lengthened with a orange/yellow wire. Now we're back to no fire at either cylinder. Rechecked nuetral switch and it works. If we wire it again the way we had it, it will run at idle and rev pretty good in reverse, but spits, sputters and dies in forward. Help Supreme Mariner Guys with any suggestions.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Force 50 won't run when wired per the diagram?

Can you show a couple of photos?

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's 2 wiring diagrams.....depends which letter code model you have....

Force50hp.jpg

Force50hpA.jpg

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm 100 times sorry and will not pull my old thread again. Finished the rebuild of my 1988 Force 50 and had no spark at either plug when wired per the digram in my Claymers manual. We did some common sense wiring and were able to get it running at idle and it would rev ok in reverse, but would spit and sputter & stall in forward. The wire colors were different from the ones in the book, so I pulled another wire diagram from another post and it list most colors that I have with the exception of a blue wire from the stator that was lengthened with a orange/yellow wire. Now we're back to no fire at either cylinder. Rechecked nuetral switch and it works. If we wire it again the way we had it, it will run at idle and rev pretty good in reverse, but spits, sputters and dies in forward. Help Supreme Mariner Guys with any suggestions.

Should be 2 blue wires coming off the stator......

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice

I'm wired exactally as listed in the 1988 "D" wire diagram, the first one listed above. It gives the optional colors with tracer and that is what we tried. What photos do you want to see? I have some of the hook-up when it will run as described in the post and I'll load tham as soon as I get this third world connection to work.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Photos of the cable where it is connected to the terminal board on the engine and the CD box and wiring. Perhaps the ignition swith too.

Even though you may think you have it wired correctly, sometimes something will just jump out. Sometimes, wiring may have been modified by a P.O. and you would need to put it back to original condition. --I don't know--A picture is worth a thousand words.

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice

Here are the photos I took when we switched them up to make it run. When wired this way it will run but spits and sputters and dies in forward. Idle is fine & reverse will give power. When wired to the drawing, no fire from the coils.

Thanks for your help, BuckwheatIMG_0137.jpgIMG_0139.jpgIMG_0142.jpgIMG_0141.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice

We've gone back thru the wiring and confirmed we are exactly per the diagram. We also verified that the circuit came from and went to where the diagram says it should (stator to trigger, etc). We are back to no spark. We replaced all terminals to eliminate bad connections, broken wires, etc. We are about to wire it back the way we can get spark and try to figure out why we spit & sputter in forward, but not reverse. Any ideas?
Thanks, Buckwheat

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice

Because the wire colors I have do not match the schematics it really is difficult to describe this to someone. Below is how the wire schematic calls for the 6 position ignition block to be wired per Clymer and where the wires go when wired this way. It obvious to me that two yellow outputs from the stator should not go together, but I'm not certain where to put them. Maybe you have a actual schematic that would tell me what to do. We are attempting to rewire based on what we think it should be and we'll send you that configuration when we get it done. It really is trial and error coupled with some common sense untill we get spark.

Top down 6 Place Ignition Block - wire color - tracer - where it comes from - wire color - tracer - where it goes to
CDI calls out # 1 on the Top and # 2 on the Bottom per the Schematic I have - No designation is mrked on the Blue CDI Modual I have. I'm basing the # 1 & # 2 on the molded emboss on the module to define top and bottom

Position # 1 White with Green Tracer form Trigger Cylinder # 2 - to - White with Green Tracer from CDI # 2 (Bottom 1/2)

Position # 2 Red from Trigger Cylinder # 2 to White with Red Tracer from CDI # 2

Position # 3 Green from Trigger # 1 to White with Orange Tracer from CDI # 1

Position # 4 Orange from Trigger # 1 to White with Yellow Tracer from CDI # 1

Position # 5 Yellow from Stator to Yellow from Stator

Position # 6 Blue from Stator to (2 separate circuits from CDI) Brown with Yellow Tracer form CDI #1 & Brown w Blue Tracer from CDI # 2

CDI & Coil Wiring - Wire Color - From & Where It Goes To

White from Coil # 1 to inline fuse then to Blue with Orange Tracer from CDI

White from Coil # 2 to inline fuse then to Blue with Red Tracer from CDI

Black with Yello Tracer from CDI to Position # 3 (MAGNETO) at the Double Electrical Block for the rest of the wiring

Black from CDI to Enginge Ground Screw.

Some of this make sense to change, but I sure could use the actual wire schematic or have someone tell me what to put where. If you have any questions, call me at 231-881-4238.

Thanks

John Bencher
Supplier Development
Electrical Power Management
Systems Division
Cell 231-881-4238

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you verified a magnet under the flywheel hasn't came loose and lodged somewhere it shouldn't be???

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice

I did check it the last time we pulled the flywheel. I'll check it again. I recieved a update from another sourche on how to configure the wires based on what I provided above and it is slightly different than the common sense wiring we did which allowed it to idle, but not run well in forward. We're working on it now and will see if that works. If it does, I'll update the post. Looks like I have some replacement parts that have different color configuration and it makes the manual schematics somewhat useless. We'll see what happens.

Thanks, Buckwheat