1988 Force 50 foot oil coming out when trying to fill

blueoval78

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone, I was going to deal with this problem in the spring when I pull my boat out of storage but it's been bugging me and I can't let it rest.

When I was winterizing the motor in the fall, I ran into a problem when attempting to pump fresh gear oil into the lower end. Gear oil was coming out from in between the bottom unit and the middle section where they bolt together when I was trying to inject it in the fill hole. As a result, it wouldn't stay in when I pulled the pump out because it's like it was venting from that spot. Looking at exploded diagrams there doesn't seem to be a gasket needed in that area. Any ideas why oil would come out of there?

I'm assuming that since oil was coming out, water must've been going in when the motor was in the water!

Nordin

Commander
Re: 1988 Force 50 foot oil coming out when trying to fill

There are two seals at that area of the gearcase. Under the impellerpumphousing you have a drivshaftseal and then you have a seal at the gearshiftrod. These two are realy cheap so if you have the case down, change them and change also the waterimpeller. General maintenance to a lo cost.