1988 Force 125 tilt/trim issues

Tym

Cadet
Hello all. I recently installed a new tilt/trim motor. I bench tested the motor before install and it runs in both directions.I have replaced both of my relays and also the switch. My problem is the motor will go up but not down. When I reverse the plugs on the relays the motor will go down but not up! I put the relay plugs back the original way. I then unplugged the wires at the switch and jumped the red to green and the motor went up. Then i jumped the red to blue wire and I have nothing ,no clicks or anything. I put the wires back on the switch the original way.I noticed in the wiring diagram there is a circuit breaker. Not sure how to test it,but appears to be working. What am I missing? Is there another relay or solenoid somewhere. I have my old relays and I put them back in and have the same problem so I put the new ones back in. Help please! Thanks, Tym

Jiggz

Captain
Anytime either of relays works to bring down the trim or tilt up or down, it means the circuit breaker is working. I'm not sure what you meant by, "reverse the plugs on the relays . . ." considering the relays will only go one way into their sockets. If you mean you switched the relays between their sockets, and the symptoms are also reverse, that could only mean one thing one of the relays is bad.

Pull out one of the relays and then do a test again both in the up and down direction. Did the system move up or down? If it did not move at all then the relay in the socket is bad. Next, remove the relay and replace the other relay and do the same test. Did it move the system up or down. if it did, either direction, then this said relay is working. obviously, you need to replace the bad relay.

Last edited:

Tym

Cadet
Sorry guy's but I am out of town,returning tomorrow. Yes Jiggz,I meant I reversed the sockets between the relays.They have the same type of socket. And the symptoms were reversed (motor went down but not up). I am assuming the green wire relay is working, as the wiring diagram shows it's the up/starboard side. I will try the other relays I have(1 old & 2 new) in the Blue wire relay side. The switch Is good according to my "O" meter test. This is a 2 wire system with a new switch. Will let you guys know my findings Thurs or Friday. Really appreciate your expertise! Tym

Jiggz

Captain
Actually, the blue wired relay is the up relay while the green one is the down relay. The best way to remember this is the color of the sky (blue) and turf (green). Like I mentioned, if you find one relay working, test the other relay on the same know working socket or circuit. If both relays make it go in one direction, then you know you have two working relays.

Now that you have validated you have two known working relays, it is time to check the other circuit. If you install one of the known working relays and it still would not move up or down, then the problem is either in the wiring of the socket or there is a loose or broken wiring. Do a continuity check on the socket.

There are four terminals in the relay socket and should be really easy to do a continuity test.

Last edited:

Tym

Cadet
Thanks for replying Jiggz. Strange,but the wiring diagram I have(off the internet for Force 1988 tilt/trim) shows the green/port side as being the "up" side. I have checked the other relays and here are the findings. I have up only (no down) using the old relay and one of the new ones. The other new one, I have no up or down. I have a suspicion the new relays I bought are the wrong ones. My old relays are Hella ,12v,4RD, 960 388-22. The new ones are Bosch, 12v, 20/30A, 0 332 204 150. Been trying to cross reference but having no luck. I see a SST(Agastat) 584416 , 50A is a replacement. What are your thoughts? really appreciate your continuing help with this. Tym

Tym

Cadet
Thank's Jiggz. Have 2 on the way. Pray they solve my problem. Appreciate all your responses. Tym

Jiggz

Captain
If these two brand new relays do not solve your problem, as I said before troubleshoot the sockets the plug into.

Tym

Cadet
Will do. I think they are the wrong relays. Wish I kept my receipt so I could return them to West Marine. Thanks again,Tym

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If you have up and then swap the wires around and then have down?
Or does the switch work in both directions?
​Try another switch?

BackyardKrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Will do. I think they are the wrong relays. Wish I kept my receipt so I could return them to West Marine. Thanks again,Tym

You do not need "replacement" relays, just normal Bosch 30 amp SPDT relays from any auto parts store is exactly the same. $5 or less. I carry two for spares in my boat.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
West Marine has records of EVERYTHING you buy.

.​I bought a 6 hole rod rack
It lasted 2-3years before the sun killed it.
I contacted WM and they said they'd be happy to replace or refund my $$

The clerk wasn't happy and didn't want to refund my $ but I contacted WM and they convinced the guy to refund.

Tym

Cadet
These 2 new relays solved my problem. Thanks for all the help guy's.

Jiggz

Captain
Great. And thanks for updating the conclusion to your problem. This makes it very valuable for others with the same problem.