1988 Force 125 Seams like it needs more air

reelmasta

Cadet
Having problems with my 125 at idle. It works fine until I put the cover on and then it dies. I had it out this evening with the intent to adjust the carbs because last time out it wouldn't idle for me. So I took the cover off and it idles fine. Tied to the dock it goes fwd and rev and back to idle nicely. Throw on the cover and it seams like it's starving for air and dies. Take the cover back off and presto runs good again. So I took it out on the lake with the cover off for the first time and it jumped right up like it never has before and ran like a kitty. Shut her down and put the cover on and same issue as at the dock and dies unless I jam it into gear. When I did jam it into gear and give it WOT it runs like it always has and takes a while to plane out and then seams to do ok. But my goodness with the cover off it runs like a raped ape.
It has idled ok in the past with the cover on but has always labored out off the hole like a pregnant lady walking up the stairs...

Any suggestions?

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 1988 Force 125 Seams like it needs more air

You have some exhaust leak coming either from the idle exhaust vent or from the exhaust manifold between the motor leg and the head. This exhaust with the cowl on recirc into the carbs thus starving the engine of fresh air.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

There is rubber boot in the cowling back of the motor.Straight under the plugs.
Is it loose,missing or bent out of shape?
If no then the exhaust is leaking somewhere.
Start it up and(cover off)spray some fogging oil in the carbs,something that's gonna smoke.

reelmasta

Cadet

TY TY TY.... Jiggz and JJ.... both dead on. When I popped the cover at the lake yesterday I did get exhaust smoke in my face. Now to pin point exactly where from. So the exhaust manifold I found easily enough. The rubber boot down inside is that the idle exhaust vent?

Can I run it without damaging the motor?
Looks like a pretty big job to do. I planned on attempting to change (or at least inspect) the impeller soon. I guess that's when I would try to fix the leak as well. I couldn't find an exhaust manifold. The online reference said unavailable....

What to do? 1st things 1st.... back out to the lake to see if I can find the exhaust leak.

Last edited:

reelmasta

Cadet

Ok.... again, thanks guys... I owe you big tyme!!!!!!
I found one of the cylinder head cover bolts stripped and laying down inside the leg. When I fired it up it it's blowing exhaust out of that hole causing all the problems. I think I'll break out the tap and dye set.

I live in Utah and we're going to Flaming Gorge Reservoir July 16 to go chase Kokanee so better get off the computer and start repairing....

Again thank you so much!
If your ever in Utah hit me up and come fishing with me...

reelmasta@gmail.com

foodfisher

Captain

You must be close to Kanab? Hurricane?